Sixty Four

13:23 PM (1:23)
Date: May 12th 2018
Location: Summit Hills Memorial Cemetery

Sloane Davenport

The motorcycle's engine humbles itself as we park to the location I chose.

Still no sun shining  but light gray skies show a promise for the sunset later tonight.

"I guess you're planning on killing me here and starting a grave for me huh." Harry takes off his helmet, shaking his hair before running his fingers through his scalp.

"That was second on my to-do list, but you're actually wrong." I grin. I readjust my ponytail and push away the loose strands behind my ear.

He takes the key off and pushes it down his front pocket. We don't leave out helmets behind as we take them along but Harry takes mine before I can even ask.

I lead him up to open gravestones that are tainted with moss and dirt that has been here longer than some. It pains me that a new site was just made as a flower spray stand is up along with dozens of miscellaneous flowers surrounded by a pile of dirt .

Harry remains silent until we reach farther to the site where I can never forget my steps. I was here earlier this year on the day that I finally put my goodbyes to them and that my life at CASTA started the day my uncle began my training.

There were times I came here too on my own, either before the sun went down or at night when high school kickbacks took over the nearby park.

My feet start to tread behind me. I see that both gravestones are still standing tall, only to be covered and more darker than the clean slate it was before. My thoughts before this was thinking that it was morbidly selfish of me to bring the killer who took my parents from me to their gravesite but I needed to see the gap of closure become smaller.

Harry stands to my left as both of us paint a shadow onto the gravestones that sit still.

"I know this is kinda an awkward thing for me to do but I just really haven't visited them in a long time." I bend my head down avoiding eye contact. " But I-I just want you to know Harry, that whatever was in the past needs to be left behind and I know you're always guilt-tripping everything because of how you didn't even know them in the first place."

I can feel his eyes on me even when I'm facing away from him. However, he stands closer to me, putting our helmets down and taking a hold of my hand in his.

"Instead of telling me of all the bad things, just tell me things about them that made you happy." He suggests.

"Um okay. Well.. let's see." I search back through the memories as I look on my mom's gravestone, seeing how empty it's been with no flowers or decorations.

"I.. remember when I used to live in Ashland that my parents and I would attend the annual Shakespeare festival when the summer began to end. And there were also different trails we would try to hike every month or so when we could just watch the sunset because my mom liked to see the different colors."

There's almost a peak of a familiar sadness breaking in my voice but it doesn't feel the same as it used to.

"Tell me what your parents were like." Harry says.

I always picture them the way I saw them a week before things changed. But my mind trails back to how I saw them when I was super young in photos.

"My mom was selfless and I was really close to her rather than my dad, which is funny because I'm an only child." I chuckle. "She was, honestly..kind-hearted but stood her ground whenever she saw a major problem in the way. She graduated top of CASTA's classes when they were still new to the underground world and stood out to most of her peers. The way the alumni like to describe her was the way that 'the sun always shines in the darkest places of the galaxy.'".