Fourty Five

17:25 pm (5:25pm)
Date: May 9th 2018
Location: CASTA HQ

3 days and 7 hours left...

"What do you know so far about the target who ID'd you?"

Wilkins is interrogating me for the 3rd time, questioning about the latest of my takedown.

"Just that he's occupied in the same area as us sir. He has the same intentions as every SIDD agent out there."

"I mean, who is this person? You're not telling me the whole truth Davenport."

I roll my eyes to myself. "He's been an agent the time I've crossed paths with him. I don't know him personally but all I can say is that he's part of something bigger than SIDD itself."

"Huh." Wilkins hums. "And what makes him so special to you, after throwing a grenade to throw us off guard on the Benz capture? Surely you've taken him out by now."

I can feel my entire insides boiling and the rising heat coming off from this lousy integration he's putting onto me. I'd rather take a few rounds to the chest than sit here and answer 20 questions.

"If I were to say to myself and only to myself sir, I believe the question you're truly asking is whether or not he's been my accomplice this whole time. And if that were to be true, I wouldn't be here standing and telling you who my target is. Because now I have to deal with saving this organization from the person who threw a grenade at me as I shot him in the damn shoulder."

I keep my eyes straight to Wilkins, who seems to be aggravated by my fiery temper. I know he's my boss, but it wouldn't really matter if I was dead or alive to him by the next hour or so.

"I don't recall you talking back to your chief commander without permission, Davenport. But unless you want to make things easier for your target, I suggest you start with the pieces together with that DNA profiler. Because some things aren't adding up to yours."

"With all due respect sir, I made a promise that I'd fulfill my duties here the moment I stepped into this world. Because you will always be the first to know when I kill him...Straight to the head."

He shakes his head in annoyance, leaving me alone in the profiler room as soon as the door shuts from behind.

He's left me with no choice but to be a wounded soldier out in the battlefield. But that's how it always is with this organization. You have to fight your own battles.

But he was right about the profiler not adding up to my path towards Noah Lyses.

This machine hasn't gotten any trace from the blood samples Devon took from the house back at Ashland.

So what's the hold up?

My brain tries to backtrack to the drawing board and the profiler. All I can see is just what I've seen these past couple of months and yet no changes. Everything from Dominique to Alvera and what is left of Harry and his reason being here.

But that makes me deepen the question more.

Why are you really here? The little H I drew on the white board lays there like some portrait ready to come scare me.

I keep staring at it until I come to realize that I need to plant my evidence first and dig more information on him rather than just guessing from what I know about him. Searching in my backpack, I take out the plastic bag with all of the belongings I took from the house.

I take everything out one by one and lay them beside each other to see what they mean. The shot glasses definitely have fingerprints but I only took them as a questionable reason if one of his roommates is really the Lyses kid.