Sixty Three

A/N: super short but will later play on to pt. 2

4 years earlier...

"The chief commander will be pleased about this. I'll give him my best regards once your mission report has been finalized. Next mission assignment will be determined soon. Gut gemacht, soldier."

I play back the words my mission leader left me almost a year ago as I stare up at a dark sky covered through these tall pine trees.

Never understood why SIDD wanted to base another location in a state where not even a lot of tourists would stop by a connection to mother nature herself.

But who am I to be a hypocrite when I'm out here in the middle of the night, smoking my fourth cigarette that could easily start a wildfire. My back is brushed up against one of the many pine trees with his trunk growing and growing every day.

At least it doesn't have to worry about getting chopped down unlike some people in this world.

Coincidentally, the trees are also planted in a nearby cemetery in this town.

As I occupy my mind through endless thoughts, I even start to reminisce how I'm still coming back to this place. It's not my first rodeo out here but it will definitely not be my last.

However, there's a small commotion coming from my left. Two people who walk hand in hand to avoid the gravestones that block their path.

"C'mon we should get back to the party, babe."

A guy with blonde hair and a jacket that typical American football high school players wear on a day to day uniform calls out to the girl as she leads out from him.

"And not have any alone time to ourselves, we can just chill here." She ignores him.

He shakes his head. "With a thousand dead people hearing us have sex on a gravestone, I'll pass babe." He takes a sip of his drink. "Besides I'm missing out with Aiden and Colin doing beer pong. We can be partners."

I loathe the ways that this guy is handling his girlfriend's time by just giving a lame excuse.

"Okay, but let me make a call first to my uncle." She whips out her phone from the back pocket. "I don't want him to think I was out all night without a ride or place to crash."

"You're the best babe." He sighs before planting a kiss on her lips. "I'll meet you back at the keg stand and a new drink."

He struts away leaving her alone while his back is turned not having a worry in his soul about who is out here besides the animals. He's the epitome of the boy who doesn't give a shit other than himself.

But my attention lingers more on the girl who surprisingly doesn't make a call and shoves the phone back to her jeans. She walks furthermore, away from where she came from and looks at the gravestones. Out of my own curiosity, I follow her avoiding any sounds that can expose me.

I wait until she lands on a particular spot and I wait behind a tree trying to see her face covered by the dark. There's not much light but the moon shines a little brighter tonight. I can't tell by her distinguished features but the way her brown hair comes alive and her eyes are pinned on what she's looking at when she starts bending down on her knees.

Being an assassin also means you have to interpret and conclude whatever observations can be made from just one target.

"I know it's been a long since I visited you guys." She whispers. "Really haven't had the time because I'm in school and i'm doing the things that uncle told me to get done. But I really..um really miss you both."