49

1 month later:

"Sorry Y/n still no trace of him" Kristel said through the phone.
"It's okay, let me know if you find anything" I said and hung up the phone .

Through the past month we kept digging and searching everywhere for any traces of Hanma but we couldn't find anything, it's like he doesn't exist in our world anymore, I was thankful that my executives didn't ask why I need info about him, since I didn't have a good answer for that.

But what made things even harder that we moved our HQ to Bonten's who basically watched every move, they can't find out that I'm looking for Hanma it will just increase their doubts about me.

I sighed and rubbed the bridge of my nose in frustration, I only have one year till that horrible bloodbath happens.

"That's one long sigh and it's only 10 am".

I turned to where the voice came from and saw Ran leaning on my door with his arms crossed and an amused look on his face.

I started blankly at some documents on my desk a habit I gained Everytime I see any of them, I couldn't look at them for long without seeing images of the last moments before their death.

It started on that day in the warehouse, while I was talking to Mikey, I kept seeing those images of him crouched on the floor with Hanma's gun against his head, his last smile, his last.... Words.

"I love you, angel"

I Shaked the thoughts out of my head and took a glance at Ran who was still leaning against my door but his face was serious now, I looked back at the documents "what? Is it your turn today to watch me?" I asked.

He chuckled "you sound like we are a bunch of perverts or something" the stood upright and walked into my office "I'm actually going on a small mission but decided to come check on you first"

I looked up at him with a raised eyebrow as he was leaning on my desk "check on me? Why?"
"You seem out of it lately, no snarky comments, no sassy attitude, you didn't pick a fight with Sanzu for a week now, that's kinda concerning".
"And why do you care?" I asked.

"Aww come on, we are colleagues now I care about my colleagues" he smiled flirtatiously.

And it happened again, the images, Ran's head on my lap.

"I wish I spent... More time with you y/n, ..... Bet I could have made you love me...but hey... Maybe in another... life".

I could feel my eyes stinging so I quickly looked back at my documents and changed the subject "what's the mission you are going on anyway?"

He sat on the chair in front of my desk "one of our rival gangs acted up so I'll just teach their boss a lesson"

"In other words, Kill him right?"
"Exactly!" He said.
My curiousity increased so I asked "and those rivals of yours are?"
"A gang called Cobra" he said dismissively.

My eyes widened, Cobra? Like my step father's Cobra?
I pulled my hair in frustration, the fucker is still alive in this timeline, another problem that should be dealt with.

"Hey! What's wrong?" Ran asked in a bit of concern.
"I'm coming with you" I said.
"Sorry darling but I can't let you do that"
"I'm not asking for your permission Haitani, I AM coming with you!" I spat.

He frowned at that, I could see that there were thousands of questions on his mind but he didn't ask any of them he just sighed.

"fine, just don't do anything stupid".

"So what do we know?" I asked Ran once we entered his car.
"Boss name is Hiroya, pretty mysterious, owns a law firm".
"That's not enough information at all" I said.
"I know, but I have to work with that, so first step is to pay that law firm a visit" Ran said as he started the car.