Chapter 16

"It's so scary without you by my side ."

Walking out of the courtroom she felt satisfied after seeing him hurt, but a part of her felt broken too. The eyes which once held an ocean of love for her looked at her as if she was never a part of them. Her son was too young to understand, he was happy he could still see both of his parents.

"Subin-ah", crouching down to the level of her son she caressed his hair lovingly as he quickly hugged her and snuggled into the crook of her neck, maybe this is the last time I can hug you.

"You love mom right?" She could feel him nodding still hugging her and she continued to caress his back, "Wait for mom, okay?"

And with a kiss on his forehead and cheeks she let him go with the love of her life, not knowing if she will ever get to see both of them again. She passed a sad smile to everyone but their eyes were empty. Their heart now had a hollow cavity because she was probably thrown out. They hated her or it's just the start of a new life after Jungkook?

~

HOSEOK'S POV

"Namjoon-ah",he called out to his friend who was busy looking into the file of the latest investor. He looked at him as he shifted a little closer to him, "Wouldn't it be better if we ask them to construct the third floor with a digitalised outlook? It will be capable of attracting more customers. We can merge the cosmetics and clothes in a single floor and can use the remaining floors maybe as a dating spot? The young couples these days are enthusiastic about such things and if they get to enjoy everything at a single place it would be more fun and money consuming. What do you say?"

With a cheeky smile he elbowed him slightly, biting his inner cheeks, "Young couples mean you and Yumi too, right?" He blushed.

"So when are you planning to propose to her?" He choked on the air as he laughed patting his back, "Oh my god Hoseok, don't be shy, we all know you love Yumi so much. So what are your plans?" He pushed him slightly and adjusted his necktie, "S-Stop teasing me."

"I am planning to propose to her today as my birthday celebration", he peeked to look at him only to find him smiling warmly, "I am so happy for you Hoseok."

"Your plan is great, let's work accordingly-", the phone rang for the third time interrupting the poor man.

"Don't decline, maybe it's important. Pick it up, it's just the two of us after all." He nodded, picking up the phone, placing it near his ear. "Hello?", the unfamiliar voice over the other end made his forehead crumple as the eyebrows twitched in confusion, "Hello? Who's this?"

"Are you Mr. Jung Hoseok?"

"Yes, I am but who are you? How did you get my number?"

"I am Kim Min-Sung, the head nurse of XXX hospital. Your wife Jung Yumi has passed away today. Please come here fast."

He let out a mused laugh. He foamed his mouth before impressing his words upon her, "You must have had a misunderstanding. Yes Jung Yumi is my wife but she is at home and all fine. Please next time before-"

She raised her voice, terminating his words, "No, Mr. Hoseok, we are not misunderstanding anything. She is your wife Jung Yumi and she was not fine. She was battling cancer for 3 months and today she gave up on her life. We got this number from her medical records so please come here fast, we need you to collect the body."

"No-No t-this c-can't be '', he muttered, throwing his phone on the table catching the attention of Namjoon, "Hoseok? Who was that? What happened to Yumi?"

He raced out of the room, running towards the parking lot, followed by befuddled Namjoon. Huffing he finally caught him and spoke in broken breath, "W-What happ-"

Pulling him harshly by his tie on the passenger seat, he pressed the accelerator at an unexpectable speed, "Y-Yumi... we need to go. She fucking needs me."

Applying the breaks he could care less about being charged as he dashed inside the hospital, leaving the car at the front gate. Falling short of breath, he approached the receptionist in a broken voice, "J-Jung Yumi?" She nodded checking her records as he screamed, "ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY? MY WIFE NEEDS ME AND YOU CAN'T FIND HER ROOM NUMBER?!", she flinched, "R-Room number 368."

Running up the stairs not caring about Namjoon calling out to him, he stopped, sliding in front of the room. The fingers palpitated and hands started sweating making his body feel weak.

Unraveling the door required all the strength of his body as his heart felt a knot seeing his wife, " Y-Yumi?

See your Hobi is h-here. Wake up.

W-Why are you sleeping here when you have such a big h-house?

H-Hey please it's not g-good to joke like this.

Yumi you know I don't like pranks.

GOD DAMMIT YUMI OPEN THOSE FUCKING EYES!

Stop acting, I know you are trying to surprise me, r-right?"

Skittering closer to her as he fell on his knees caressing her hair, "B-Baby w-wake up, it's-its not f-funny. Are you not feeling well? We'll go to another doctor. I know they all are lying... y-you can never leave m-me. We'll go home together, okay? Now get up I-I am waiting... Are you mad at Hoseok?... See I am so sad, sorry baby forgive your Hobi. It's my birthday today, if you will sleep like this whom will I-I propose t-tonight?"

"Honey... get up... you are s-scaring me... Y-Yumi?"

- - -

Silence slithered in as the young man continued to stare at his wife with hopeful eyes. The entire room was quiet. All were sobbing seeing the man perilously waiting for his wife to get up and embrace his scared soul.

She looked so wan with dried lips with bloody corners, wires attached to the whole enfeebled body. The machine had stopped beeping long ago, the heart monitor showed no beatings, the pulse rate was 0. It was all a waste. No use of keeping her on a ventilator too. After all, a better place was waiting for her. She was lying on the bed wearing a red knee length dress, her husband's favorite. The ring shone brightly on her ring finger. It had been more than 2 hours since she left on a journey to peace. The tightening and ashened skin, the putrid smell, the cold limbs scared him more. The face looked beautiful still with a slight difference, those eyes would never sparkle with love for her husband as they were forever closed now.

Slowly consuming the truth he started to break down as the tears began to cascade down his ethereal cheeks. She has actually left him when she promised never to. Forever.

Submerging his face is his sweaty palms, he let out a painful cry as now he was left all alone. Walking closer to his best friend with teary eyes Namjoon gulped the lump before sitting beside him and pulling his body in his embrace. Never in his life had he imagined to see his friend like this, begging for something so dearly, something he was about to get...happiness.

"J-Joon", he sobbed bitterly, clutching his shirt making his friend feel so helpless. "S-She-she can't leave me, m-my Yumi c-can't leave me. They all are lying, r-right?... She is just s-sleeping, right? Ask her to wake up, I am s-scared to face this w-world alone."