Chapter 28

Jorden's POV

So far we have been on the island for 4 days. Matteo had told me that we planned on leaving soon but without family, anything can happen. 

He doesn't really think I believe that, does he?

I'll give him the benefit of doubt for trying to lie to me, but I've had to deal with hiding and reading emotion since I was 10. No matter how much training they have you can't hide from someone who learned for survival. 

I know something is wrong created with our sudden vacation. Along with the tension in the house. Obviously, Vince doesn't know anything but the rest of us know something is up but no one is revealing anything. 

Last night Jay, Jul, and I snuck out for what Jay calls our triplet meetings. We use this time to unwind and talk about everything we have noticed around us. 

Last night we put together the pieces revolving around Marco's absence, Matteo's increased protection, Enzo's rage being more open versus him saving it for the gym. 

Thankfully Jul and Jay seem to be adjusting well. Jul has bonded with Nonno, which is great i mean she never had a father figure in life and finally is able to lean on someone without feeling the need to protect them like with me and Jay. 

Jay seems to be doing good, he still gets his nightmares regularly but he was much more affected by Erica than us. He was never built for violence or danger, seeing him actually have real friends for once is great. Before he had friends but he couldn't trust them or talk freely. Sae with Jul. 

Jul recently has been teasing me about Beth. A few days ago I admitted to her that I liked Beth. Thinking that she could be a good sister and help me out but instead, she takes every chance to tease me about it.

According to Rose, the annual mafia ball will be coming up within the next 3 months. They send out invitations early as this is supposed to be the most extravagant party of the year and arrangements need to be made. Rose's word, not mine. 

Jul used this tease to me about how her sister-in-law would also be intending. Along with asking for nieces and nephews, she has a weird obsession with babies. I won't tell her this but I think Jay has a crush on Rose, whenever he can he steals a glance at her and always stares at her when she could just be standing there. 

Cute.

Matteo's POV

Luca was starting to get on my damn nerves. It's been a few days since Marco called with an update, Luca has been worried about him. I've tried to tell him that it wasn't unusual for him to not talk for weeks. 

Before the triplets came home and he would go on missions, we wouldn't hear from him until either we called him or he came home. There have been periods of time when we didn't hear from him for months. 

But to put Luca to rest I have tried to contact him, but he still didn't answer again not unusual. 

With this increased threat against the triplets, last week before we left we received a picture of the triplets at their old school with X's carved on their chests. With that, we left trying to hide them for a little bit. 

Thankfully no one knew they were in my custody per se. While on paper their custody belonged to me, their address and all that information were still in dad's name or Nonno's. 

Before that, we had received threats on their safety, with the new information that something bigger than a low-life gang was responsible tension was higher. Everyone who was available in the mafia was working on finding them. Christopher got some of his men and contacts to work on it as well of course he couldn't exert as many man-hours but anything helps. 

All that we can do now is wait. 

Enzo's POV

Before we left Matteo said that the triplets were in danger but refused to tell us anything else and to focus on the vacation. 

Since the triplets have come in things have been weird between us four, mainly because I'm a dick. Me and Jorden have bonded a bit more over our enjoyment of fighting we often work out together including sparring. Jayin and I don't really hang but we get along ok. But I haven't had a chance to even bond with Jul. 

So here i am outside of her door about to knock on her door. Finally doing so I get no response. I knock again no response so I do what any brother would do and I go in. I find her with her headphones in and drawing by the window. 

Walking over I tap her shoulder starling her. I give her a creepy-ass smile and stand there as Dante would have. 

"Yes?" She sounds very uncertain by my sudden presence.

"Come on let's go." I grab the sketchbook and pencil moving them off of her to the desk. 

"Where?"

"It's a surprise now come on we gotta go or will miss it."

I drag her out of the house as the sun sets, towards the beach. I push her down on the sand before sitting next to her in silence. 

"So why did you during me here?" I can feel her gaze on me but I continue to look at the sky laying down. 

"We are gonna sit here and watch the stars." She just laid down next to me.

After about an hour of stargazing I broke the silence, "When dad was alive, we would go and star gaze every night. He said that if you ever felt lonely then look to the night sky and every problem would disappear. He was the best dad, I know you didn't get to meet him but he would have loved you. You are pretty much his carbo copy. Only he could control my anger like you and Jorden. Only he could deal with Dante when he got hyper like you and Jayin. Only the deal with Luca's possessiveness. Marco's aversion to us and Matteo's guilt. That night that you had your nightmare, I knew it was a flashback. A few years ago me and Dad had gone on a drive when we were ambushed. During that, he was killed and I was left to die on the side of the road. Matteo had found me ever since then he has tried to be the best brother and father he could be but you could tell it was hard on him. He had to stay up late with me reliving that night, I had to watch dad die. All while he was taking on the role of our family."

I look over at her to see her crying before I could say anything she hugged me and we sat in silence until I looked down and she was asleep. I looked at my phone to see an urgent text from Mattoe telling me to get back now. Which was from 20 minutes ago. Picking up Jul I walked us back to put her in her room and walked to the office.

"Marco's been kidnapped."