Chapter 35

Nickolai's POV

Waking up with my head on Jul's leg, I move my head only for her hand to fall. She has a habit of playing with my hair when she's falling asleep. 

Staring at her, the delicate features she adorns are alluring, anyone would be attracted to. Her plump, pretty, pink lips always drawn in a scowl somehow make her more appealing. Her beautiful brown hair falls below her shoulders, messy when she wakes up always styled perfectly. Her sparkling green eyes always have a certain mystery behind them. 

Her eyelashes flutter against her skin, she soon opens her eyes giving me a sly smile as she peers down at me. Her yawn so cute as she slightly stretches. 

If this bed is half as comfortable as this chair she hasn't had a good night's sleep. Slumping over in this chair is not what I would choose but staying next to her every night is worth it.

"Morning." She tiredly tells me. She winces as she sits up. 

"What hurts?" She opens her mouth," And before you say nothing, I can tell you are in pain."

She rolls her eyes, "Fine, my side really hurts." She lays back down wincing as she does. I grab the button on her side table alerting the nurses to come in here. 

A few minutes later a nurse walks in, "You pushed the button what can I help you with?"

" I need more pain killers." Jul looks reluctantly at the nurse. The nurse put a syringe into the IV in Jul's hand. The nurse leaves the room. Everyone told us that they wouldn't be able to visit until later today as Matteo had to deal with stuff from his absence from yesterday. 

"Can I see Marco today?"Jul looks at me hopefully. She had been asking that all day yesterday but being fresh out of surgery Luca thought it would be unsafe for her to move. 

"I don't know."

"Please, Nicky." She gave me puppy eyes when I didn't respond her eyes started to water. I had seen this a few times before with the family she used it on her grandfather and Matteo. She could be very manipulative when she wanted.

Bur regardless her plan worked as I caved in and nodded my head at her request. 

"Thank you" She lightly grabbed and kissed my cheek. I'm sure if I could see myself my cheeks would be bright red, I cleared my throat and nodded. 

She lightly chuckled at me, as she closed her eyes to get more rest she was lacking in the night. 

The hours passed by as I watched her sleep, a few nurses had stopped by to check on her. Matteo had called her, I answered telling him she was asleep, he called to inform her that they wouldn't be able to come today. 

After a while, I remembered that she wanted to see Marco based on the time he should be awake. Moving the hair off of her forehead I whisper quietly near her ear for her to wake up. She eventually opens her eyes rubbing her eyes as I help her sit up. 

"Hey, sorry to wake you up but if you want to see Marco we got to go now."

She nodded her head and moved her legs off the side of the bed. She reached out and grabbed my hand, I gently pulled her up. The last time the nurse came in I asked how I should move her. The IV she had was already on the stand that could move around. The nurse told me that along as she was not overexerting herself her stitches should be safe. 

"Come on, easy now. Take it easy. Go as fast as you want." I grabbed the IV pole for her to walk with. Grabbing her other hand I placed one hand on her back gripping her waist leading her towards Marco's room. 

We walked toward his room with a few breaks in between for Jul to catch her breath. We made it to Marco's room, I knocked for her letting go of her hand for a second. We heard a come in. 

We entered his room to be greeted with his bruised face smiling at Jul but slightly failing as he looked over her appearance. I moved Jul to sit next to Marco in the chair but she choose to sit on the bed with him. 

"Hi," Jul said smiling at him. Marco seemed to be her favorite brother beside her twins. I think it's just that the two are so similar. In my and Jul's late-night talk last night she revealed that she and Marco had talked as well when neither could be sleep. 

We hang out for a while as Jul sits there telling Marco about everything that happened while he was on his trip before the kidnapping. Marco sat there taking it all in contributing to the conversation, I sat in the chair across the room watching Jul waiting for a sign that she needed something. 

After a while, Jul and Marco had started yawning. I dismissed their conversation telling them they could talk tomorrow but both needed some rest. I walked Jul back to her room with her leaning on me a little bit more this time around. 

I set her down gently on her bed moving the blanket that Jorden brought for her up to her chin effectively tucking her in. She gave me another sleepy smile, as I kissed her on her cheek. 

I sat down in my chair again laying my head on her lap like the past two nights. 

Whimpering wakes me up. Looking up the room is dark only the slight light outside the door lighting the room. Jul has a pained look on her face as her head turns side to side. She starts to mumble words that I can't make out. 

Jul continues to thrash more violently her arms now twitching up and down as if she is in pain. Her face contorted as her mumbling gets more pained. I start saying her name going she wakes up. She starts to cry as I shake her shoulders. 

"Jul wake up." 

"Julianne wake up."

"Jul I need you to wake up." I shake her shoulders a little rougher not wanting to he but I needed to wake her up. 

She shoots up out of breath, looking frantically around until her eyes fall upon me. She stares at me for a few seconds, she grabs me and hugs me tightly pushing her head in the crook of my neck. She continues to cry as I rub her back and whisper sweet nothings in her ear. 

"Hey it's ok, look at me what's wrong?" I pulled her face away from me wiping under her eyes. 

She looks at me with her eyes welling up again. "Take your time, you don't have to tell me everything but I need to know a little bit." I wipe her eyes again as I hold her face in my hands. 

"Uhm... I had a nightmare. About from when I lived with my mom." She takes a deep, shaky breath. I continue to rub her cheeks as she speaks, "It was when I got the scar on my side. I'm sorry but I can't, I cant."

"Hey hey. It's ok, I understand. You did a good job, Anne, I know how hard it can be." I brought her back to me hugging her. I remember when Vincenzo asked about the scar from her description I figured it was from her mom. Matteo told us that night she had that bad nightmare that she had been abused and all I wanted was to kill whoever hurt her. 

Rubbing her back I lie her back down, I go to get up and move back to my chair but she grabs my shirt pulling me back to her slightly convening what she wanted. 

Agreeing I pull her into my chest after laying down on the bed rubbing her head trying to get her to fall back asleep. Eventually, she fell back asleep, I soon followed after her.