Chapter 37

Jul's POV

Last night Nikolai fell asleep in my bed again as we watched a movie after dinner. Normally I would never let someone I've known for such a short time even in my room alone but here I am letting him sleep with me.

Something about him makes me feel safe. Maybe the fact that he was able to wake me uniform my nightmare the other night. Maybe because he has never left my side since in the hospital. Maybe because he has given me a reason to trust him.

All those reasons make me happy but also scared for the outcome.

"Hey... morning. Have you been up long?" Nickolai's groggy morning voice shakes the smell out of my thoughts as he sits up from the bed checking the time. I shake my head in acknowledgment.

Sighing he gets up as he receives a message. He starts to get dressed, he brought a bag on the first night when Matteo made him go home to shower my blood off. He took off his shirt in for of me and damn. The chiseled muscle definition sparks my interest but trying not to be creepy is fucking hard when he looks like that. I notice the tattoo on his back a throne covered in skulls and dripping blood. It reminds me of a throne of hell I've seen in a museum when younger.

He chuckles, bringing me out of my trance noticing that he has a shirt back on must to my distaste.

He comes over to me, "My dad texted there is a problem with one of our shipments. I won't be back till later. Tet me if you need anything." Through his goodbye, he never broke eye contact letting me stare into his dark, ocean, blue eyes. 

I nod my head as he gets up and leaves. 

I text the girls if they want to hang out, they all four say yes. Since Enzo couldn't come to talk to me yesterday I call him. He answers explaining that the mafia thing took longer than they thought, and he got back early this morning. I let him go to sleep and tell him not to worry about seeing me as I should be home in two days. 

The girls knock on the door, letting them come in we start to watch a random movie that apparently is Angelina's favorite. I've learned from them that most of the family is still playing low in case of Leon's allies retaliating. That's why the aunts, nonna, and Enny can come to see me, as they see it as too dangerous.

Watching the multiple movies I occasionally doze off until Anna or Rose hit my legs slightly giving me glares and pointing at the movie.

Honestly, I have no idea what is going on, only thing is that one girl slept with another girl's boyfriend. Rose seems invested but me and Valentina are not. Valentina is scrolling on her phone secretly like she is in class. 

After a while, we order some lunch, while the girls inform me of the mafia ball coming up soon. It will be in about two weeks. Since the whole mafia thing is new to me, the girls gladly break it down for me. 

1. You have to wear the colors of your mafia. (ours green, Nickolai's family black) As long as it follows your color baseline you can wear it. If you relate to another mafia you can incorporate their colors. Dating or married you wear your mafia and your partner's colors. 

2. No violence/killing, unless a good reason is attached. Cameras cover everything so if in question they will investigate. 

It reminds me of how some teachers would explain prom to kids. 

3. It's an event to build allies and deals. 

4. No children (for safety reasons). 

Who knew that the mafia would have so many rules for their events. 

After a few hours, it becomes dark and the girls have to go home. Leaving me alone in my room. I texted Nickolai if he ate dinner yet, he said no so I ordered us something. 

After the nurse brings me my takeout I text Nickolai that I gave him some food for whenever he gets back. 

After I eat my food he walks through  the door, "Hi, everything go ok?"

"Yes, thank you for dinner." He sits down next to me handing me the remote. 

I turn on one of the TLC shows that are mainly stupid but stupidly funny. Nickolai finishes his food leaving back pulling me to his chest. 

"I was wondering if you want to go on a date with me tomorrow?"

I freeze at his question. No one ever asked me that, I've always had my triplets to say no for me. But I don't want to say no this time. 

"Yes?" He chuckles at me. 

"OK." He turns his attention back to the TV. I follow after a few minutes of watching him. 

Eventually, we fall asleep laying in each other's arms.