Chapter 45

Jorden's POV

After our birthday dinner, I retired to my room. Checking my phone I answered some texts from friends, but one caught my eye. 

Sugar- Happy Birthday my Sour Bear.

Me- I thought we agreed to not use that nickname

Sugar- Well yeah but, it's fitting

Sugar- You always have a sour attitude

I smiled at our texts, she was so sweet hense 'Sugar'. When I started calling her that she called e sour since I apparently was negative when we first met. 

Me- Okay since you put it like that I guess you can continue calling me that.

Me- How as your night?

Sugar- Really good, I spent most of it studying for our chemistry test on Wednesday.

Me- We have a test?

Sugar- Yes. I told you about this last night when we talked.

Me- Sorry, I must have forgotten with everything going on

Sugar- It's okay. Do you want to study with me tomorrow?

Me- Sure Sugar. 

Sugar- Can I call you?

Me- Yes?

I wait for her phone call seeing her contact name pop up I immediately click the green button. 

"Hi." Her angelic voice brings me peace. I could listen to her forever, whether she is reading to me or scolding me for being mean to someone her voice will always be my favorite thing to listen to. 

"Hi, Sugar. You okay?"

"Yeah, I guess today is just hard for my mom and I." 

"Alright, well let's get your mind off it ok." I can tell she nods before humming into the phone. 

"Well, I was thinking about getting my hair cut..." This went on for about another hour of me distracting her. 

Eventually, I asked her to read to me. She starts to read her latest book, reminding us of when Jul was little and she would read to us when mom had a party upstairs. 

Her voice started to drone out and get quieter and quieter. At some point, I could her soft breaths telling me that she had fallen asleep. 

Smiling to myself I hang up on the phone. I plug my phone in and get up. I walk over to Jayins room checking on him. Going to Jul's room I can hear her slight talking probably taking to Nickolai. 

Satisfied I go to my room letting myself dwell on life. Just on our last birthday, we were sitting on our separate mattresses that laid on the floor. We hugged each bothered and whispered sung happy birthday. 

We could never afford gifts, so just being with each other was our gifts were each other. 

Having a family that cares out is weird. At first, when we came here I was abrasive towards the idea of accepting them, but now I couldn't imagine any other life. 

Closing my eyes I let sleep take over finally happy and not afraid to sleep and wake up.