017. "you, who's like a dream is a butterfly high to me"

XVII

XVII. ONCE UPON A DECEMBER

01:03 ─❁────────── 01:80

◁                           Ⅱ                           ▷

Glowing dim as an ember,

Things my heart used to know

༻───────────────༺

         SNOW FELL THICKLY UPON THE castle and it's grounds now that Christmas was just around the corner. The pale blue Beauxbaton carriage looked like a large, chilly, frosted pumpkin next to the iced gingerbread house that was Hagrid's cabin, while the Durmstrang ship's portholes were glazed with ice, the rigging white with frost. The house-elves down in the kitchen were outdoing themselves with a series of rich, warming stews and savory puddings, and only Fleur Delacour seemed to be able to find anything to complain about.

"It is too 'eavy, all zis 'Ogwarts food," they heard her saying grumpily as they left the Great Hall behind her one evening. "I will not fit into my dress robes!"

"Oooh there's a tragedy," Hermione snapped as Fleur went out into the entrance hall. "She really thinks a lot of herself, that one, doesn't she?"

"Lay off her already, Granger," Lucia muttered, looking down at her own body with a skeptic look as she bit her lip. "But she got a point, don't she? The food here is a bit heavy and it's pretty easy to gain weight..."

"Don't say that about yourself," she heard Harry said sternly. Lucia glanced at him, perplexed.

"Huh? But I wasn't saying anything about —"

"But you did insinuate, didn't you?" he stated, folding his arms together.

Lucia immediately looked away from him. But was she wrong, though? The amount of food she had been consuming was enough to make her weight heavier than she already thought it did. She knew she wasn't the ideal girl in more ways than one, because compared to Hermione or Cho Chang or Erin, well, she was a bit... chubbier in the face. And never once did her foster mother made her forget that.

"You're exaggerating, Lucia."

"I'm not," said Lucia adamantly. Being a teenager is harder than she'd first anticipated... "and quite honestly I think I should be on a diet before the Yule —"

"Stop it. You're perfect just the way you are," said Harry in a matter-of-factly kind of tone. He wasn't going to lie; she was indeed perfect the way she already is. Harry thought that Lucia DiFiore was already perfect, even if she didn't think so herself.