040. "my voice drowned out in the thunder"

XL

XL. THE MINISTRY INFILTRATES

19:09 ─❁────────── 19:79

◁                          Ⅱ                          ▷

Mesmerized, Hypnotized,

Nobody knows that we're betrayed

༻───────────────༺

          THE WEATHER REMAINED UNDECIDED EVEN as they ventured further to the north. Rain splattered the windows halfheartedly; the sun showed its feeble appearance before the the clouds drifted over it again. When darkness fell and lamps came on inside the carriages, Luna rolled up The Quibbler, put it carefully away in her back, and took to staring at everyone in the compartment instead.

"We'd better change," said Hermione at last. She and Ron pinned their prefect badges carefully to their chest. Ron checked how it looked in the black window.

At last, the train began to slow down, and they heard the usual racket up and down it as everybody scrambled to get their luggage and pets assembled, ready for departure. Ron and Hermione were supposed to supervise all this; they disappeared from the carriage again, leaving the others to look after Crookshanks and Pigwidgeon.

"I'll carry that owl, if you like," said Luna to Harry, reaching out for Pigwidgeon as Neville stowed Trevor carefully in an inside pocket.

"Oh — er — thanks," said Harry, handing her the cage and hoisting Hedwig's more securely into his arms.

They shuffled out of the compartment feeling the first sting of the night air on their faces as they joined the crowd in the corridor. Slowly they moved toward the doors.

Lucia stepped down onto the platform and looked around, graced by the familiar surroundings of last year as she cradled Crookshanks in her arms.

She let out a soft sigh, hoping for this year to be a better year than last year, but she was aware of how unrealistic that would sound... especially after the gazes she'd seen just hours ago.

Her ears were then filled by a brisk female one, calling, "First years line up over here, please! All first years to me!"

It wasn't the normal gruffy voice of Rubeus Hagrid. This made Lucia worried.

A lantern came swinging toward them and by its light she saw the prominent chin and severe haircut of Professor Grubbly-Plank, the witch who had taken over Hagrid's Care of Magical Creatures lessons for a while the previous year.