046. "the light pierces through the darkness"

XLVI

XLVI. A PLAN FOR THE FUTURE

19:09 ─❁────────── 19:79

◁                        Ⅱ                        ▷

Until then, let's continue,

To play the sounds we like.

༻───────────────༺

          THEY'D EXPECTED TO HAVE TO comb Hermione's Daily Prophet carefully the next morning to find the article Percy had mentioned in his letter. However, the departing delivery owl had barely cleared the top of the milk jug when Hermione let out a huge gasp, causing the other three to be startled.

"Geez louis, Hermione!" hissed Lucia, wiping the milk she spilled on the table. "Give us a warning, will you?!"

"Sorry," Hermione said halfheartedly, "But look at this!"

She flattened the newspaper to reveal a large photograph of Dolores Umbridge, smiling widely and blinking slowly at them from beneath the headline:

MINISTRY SEEKS EDUCATIONAL REFORM DOLORES UMBRIDGE APPOINTED FIRST-EVER "HIGH INQUISITOR"

"'High Inquisitor'?" said Harry darkly, his half-eaten bit of toast slipping from his fingers. "What does that mean?"

Hermione read aloud:

     In a surprise move last night the Ministry of Magic passed new legislation giving itself an unprecedented level of control at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

     The Minister has been growing uneasy about goings-on at Hogwarts for some time,' said Junior Assistant to the Minister, Percy Weasley. 'He is now responding to concerns voiced by anxious parents, who feel the school may be moving in a direction they do not approve.

     This is not the first time in recent weeks Fudge has used new laws to effect improvements at the Wizarding school. As recently as August 30th Educational Decree Twenty-two was passed, to ensure that, in the event of the current headmaster being unable to provide a candidate for a teaching post, the Ministry should select an appropriate person.

     That's how Dolores Umbridge came to be appointed to the teaching staff at Hogwarts,' said Weasley last night. 'Dumbledore couldn't find anyone, so the Minister put in Umbridge and of course, she's been an immediate success —

"She's been a WHAT?" said Harry loudly.

"I knew it!" said Lucia firmly.

"Wait, there's more," said Hermione grimly.