090. "but the blood on my hands scares me to death"

XC

XC. EMPATHY FOR THE ENEMY

31:07 ─❁────────── 31:80

◁                           Ⅱ                           ▷

I never meant to make you bleed

I'll be a better man today❞

༻───────────────༺

          THE RENDEZVOUS FROM THE NIGHT before was particularly memorable for both Harry and Lucia, as after everything, Harry finally obtained Slughorn's memory and just their luck (pun intended), Dumbledore had returned from whatever he was doing all this time.

Harry told Lucia, Ron, and Hermione everything that had happened during next morning's Charms lesson (having first cast the Muffliato spell upon those nearest them). Ron and Hermione were satisfyingly impressed by the way he had wheedled the memory out of Slughorn and positively awed when he told them about Voldemort's Horcruxes and Dumbledore's promise to take Harry along, should he find another one.

"Wow," said Ron, when Harry had finally finished telling them everything; Ron was waving his wand very vaguely in the direction of the ceiling without paying the slightest bit of attention to what he was doing. "Wow. You're actually going to go with Dumbledore... and try and destroy... wow."

"See, I knew it had something to do with breaking the laws of nature itself!" said Lucia, twirling her wand in between her fingers as though she was holding a pen.

"Ron, you're making it snow," said Hermione patiently, grabbing his wrist and redirecting his wand away from the ceiling from which, sure enough, large white flakes had started to fall. Lavender Brown glared at Hermione from a neighboring table through very red eyes, and Hermione immediately let go of Ron's arm.

"Oh yeah," said Ron, looking down at his shoulders in vague surprise. "Sorry... looks like we've all got horrible dandruff now..."

He brushed some of the fake snow off Hermione's shoulder. Lavender burst into tears. Ron looked immensely guilty and turned his back on her.

"What in the bloody hell happened after Harry and I left?" demanded Lucia, as she pointed her wand directly in between Ron's eye.

"We split up," he told them from the corner of his mouth. "Last night. When she saw me coming out of the dormitory with Hermione. Obviously, she couldn't see you two, so she thought it had just been the two of us."

"She thought you cheated on her?" Lucia then glanced at Lavender sympathetically, "Oh, poor girl..."

"Well — you don't mind it's over, do you?" said Harry.