099. "you never know what people have up their sleeves"

XCIX

XCIX. LIFE MAKES LOVE LOOK HARD

21:79 ─❁────────── 31:80

◁                           Ⅱ                           ▷

So don't you worry your pretty, little mind,

People throw rocks at things that shine

༻───────────────༺

          THEY WERE PREPARING FOR THE arrival of the Delacours. Admittedly, none of the teenagers in the house enjoyed the whole preparation process, for the days merely consisted of them cleaning the house and being bossed around; Lucia specifically had been exhausted from all the altercation she had to make for the bride and bridesmaids dresses since Fleur wanted perfection for when they were to have pictures or something like that. Lucia'd forgotten everything as all her braincells slowly deteriorated from all the work.

She hoped that when — if her wedding day ever to come, it would be much simpler than this. Of course, grand, but at the same time, simple.

The Delacours arrived the following morning at eleven o'clock. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Lucia, and Ginny were feeling quite resentful toward Fleur's family by this time, and it was with ill grace that Ginny wear her dress, Hermione tamed her hair a bit, and Lucia to wear a bland grey dress. Once they had all been deemed smart enough, they trooped out into the sunny backyard to await the visitors.

Lucia had never seen the place so tidy. The rusty cauldrons and old Wellington boots that usually littered the steps by the back door were gone, replaced by two new Flutterby bushes standing either side of the door in large pots; though there was no breeze, the leaves waved lazily, giving an attractive rippling effect. The chickens had been shut away, the yard had been swept, and the nearby garden had been pruned, plucked, and generally spruced up.

There were many security enchantments that'd been placed upon the Burrow by both the Order and the Ministry that Lucia had lost count; all she knew was that it was no longer possible for anybody to travel by magic directly into the place. Mr. Weasley had therefore gone to meet the Delacours on top of a nearby hill, where they were to arrive by Portkey. The first sound of their approach was an unusually high-pitched laugh, which turned out to be coming from Mr. Weasley, who appeared at the gate moments later, laden with luggage and leading a beautiful blonde woman in long, leaf-green robes, who could only be Fleur's mother.

"Maman!" cried Fleur, rushing forward to embrace her. "Papa!"

Monsieur Delacour was nowhere near as attractive as his wife; he was a head shorter and extremely plump, with a little, pointed black beard. However, he looked good-natured. Bouncing toward Mrs. Weasley on high-heeled boots, he kissed her twice on each cheek, leaving her flustered.