049. "but it's you who makes me lose my head"

XLIX

XLIX. ...A REBELLION

19:09 ─❁────────── 19:79

◁                         Ⅱ                         ▷

Disobey the hell of a society,

Grant a special pardon to your dream

༻───────────────༺

          "UMBRIDGE HAS BEEN READING YOUR mail, Harry. There's no other explanation,"

"You think Umbridge attacked Hedwig?" he said, outraged.

Lucia heaved out a low sigh as she and Ron stayed silent the entirety of the time, focusing on their frogs. It made her recall the slight hoots she heard from Hedwig. Umbridge, no doubt that was what she was trying to say to her. But if she were to tell them, would they think it was weird and stop being friends with her? She was a desperate person when it came to the topics of friendship, and Harry, Ron, and even Hermione was the closest she had to best friends — Astoria, Ginny, and Erin didn't count, for she only saw them as... sisters than friends.

"I'm almost certain of it," said Hermione grimly. "Watch your frog, it's escaping."

Harry pointed his wand at the bullfrog that had been hopping hopefully toward the other side of the table — "Accio!" — and it zoomed gloomily back into his hand.

Charms was always one of the best lessons in which to enjoy a private chat: There was generally so much movement and activity that the danger of being overheard was very slight. Today, with the room full of croaking bullfrogs and cawing ravens, and with a heavy downpour of rain clattering and pounding against the classroom windows, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Lucia's whispered discussion about how Umbridge had nearly caught Sirius went quite unnoticed.

"I've been suspecting this ever since Filch accused you of ordering Dungbombs, because it seemed such a stupid lie," Hermione whispered. "I mean, once your letter had been read, it would have been quite clear you weren't ordering them, so you wouldn't have been in trouble at all — it's a bit of a feeble joke, isn't it? But then I thought, what if somebody just wanted an excuse to read your mail? Well then, it would be a perfect way for Umbridge to manage it — tip off Filch, let him do the dirty work and confiscate the letter, then either find a way of stealing it from him or else demand to see it — I don't think Filch would object, when's he ever stuck up for a student's rights? Harry, you're squashing your frog."

Harry looked down; he was indeed squeezing his bullfrog so tightly its eyes were popping; he replaced it hastily upon the desk.

"It was a very, very close call last night," said Hermione. "I just wonder if Umbridge knows how close it was. Silencio!"