Mind Stone

After complaining about Steve's plan of attack, the group finally gave in that I could face Loki by myself in Stark's Tower while they evacuate the city.

Well, that's how I ended up fighting against Loki. I teleported into the Tower where he strolled around and I surprise-attack him. Punching, kicking and grunting for moments, I got bored not using my powers. I gathered my powers and blasted him into a wall.

"Got a new toy?" I refer to the sceptre he clutches tightly in his grasp.

The glow in it reminds me of the Tesseract. Inside the sceptre must be another one of the lost infinity stones which would also do great in my collection.

Fascinated by the glowing stick, I forget that Loki can fight me back since I have spared him not to get truly hurt. He points the sceptre on my chest where the heart is supposed to be and looks dumbfounded. He does it another once or twice but nothing ever happens.

I clear my throat and ask him what he was trying to do. "This usually works," he mumbles even though mostly to himself.

"Are you trying to give me the stone's power?" I question and he looks back up at me.

"I tried to mind control you, you fool," he growls and pushes me away.

"Oh, dear. You really haven't the slightest idea of what I'm capable of." I snicker. "But if you hand me over the mind stone, I might show you."

Then my index finger makes its way to his face but Loki learned his lesson. The sceptre hits my side and makes me fly away. On the floor, I spit out some blood from his attack.

Getting back onto my feet, I crack my knuckles. "As you wish, my Prince. Come on." I motion my hands at him to fight me.

Ducked, I sprint at him and tackle him to the floor. Swiftly, he turns us around so he is on top of me. He lifts his sceptre and is about ready to stab me. A bold move to stop only inches away from my face.

"Tell me why I shouldn't gut you like a fish?" He threatens and I know nothing better than to flash him a toothy smile.

"Because you can't kill me," I answer in a shrug which makes his wrath grow.

He tucks my hair, lifting me to my knees. I look down to my hands who support me for balance as the sceptre on my head stops me from standing up. "You underestimate me, pet," he spits.

Briskly, I kick his feet, making him fall. As he falls, he lets go of his sceptre still in the air. I catch it and admire it. If looks could kill, he'd have me sure buried six feet under dirt.

"And here you are, not intimidating at all," I smirk and my head touches the tip of the weapon.

I shut my eyes and start to absorb the power of the mind stone. The burning sensation in my veins satisfies me. When the calming heat dissipates, I look to my hands which are now covered in yellow smoke.

When I look around, I notice that Loki escaped along with the sceptre. That's why the burn stopped before I wanted to. He must have fled when I was busy absorbing the resource of the power.

"Butcher, the hell did you do?" Tony asks carefully from behind which makes me yelp.

I turn on my heels and see the mess we caused during the fight but I guess he meant more about my glowing body.

"Oh, I just discovered a new power," I respond calmly through a half-lie.

"Okay, I don't care." He shakes the thought off and goes behind his bar to wear some silver bracelets around his wrists.

"Sir, Mark VII isn't fully ready yet." a voice booms out of nowhere and I search up the ceiling to figure out from where that came.

Tony then explains that it was his A.I., called J.A.R.V.I.S.  and that he still needs the suit. "Loki's army, the Chitauris, has arrived. Are you still on our side?"

"Do I even have a choice?" I question after I finally managed to contain my new power in my body.

"Technically, you let Reindeer Games escape with his toy. So it kinda goes on you. " He sasses and walks to the window then points to a blue portal up the sky where aliens fly out to attack New York City. "Plus we need the spear to close the portal."

I felt pity when I saw how demolished the city already was. Those Chitauris caused havoc. How could I ever miss that? Was I so busy and focused on Loki? Or the stone?

"I see, you're still on the good side." I snap out from my thoughts. "Come on, kid. Show us what you've got."

I got zoned out watching the powerful blast of the portal but him snapping me back to reality brings me an idea. "Is now the perfect moment to tell you that we might not need Loki's beloved sceptre?"

His eyes grow wide. "Nope." He pops annoyed. "Not time to tell, time to react!" His voice raises in desperation. Then he jumps out of the broken window with his new suit to distract the aliens.

I run up to where the portal is and when I stand in front of it, my heart races at a high speed. The scientist who got knocked out before I arrived slowly wakes up and tells me his name, Dr Erik Selvig.

"It's the only way to shut it." He says rubbing his temple. He must have had an enormous headache after getting his mind back.

"I-I don't know if I'm capable to do it," I confess.

Well, honestly, I know I would be able to close it but I don't think I'm ready for the death I would witness eventually. Being the one who reigns the Afterworld means leading the dead souls their way and the job is always exhausting. I'm not even sure if I have to when I truly am not even that involved yet with their deaths, though. Debating whether to do it or not, I change my mind the more I observe the broken city. I would have to attend more funerals when not closing the portal.

Taking in a sharp breath, I stretch out my arm and with the other, I create a kind of a shield to protect me from any distraction. With a clenched jaw, I force the power to crawl out of my hand. The mixed black and yellow mist blasts through the protection of the Tesseract. I groan out in pain after I pushed harder, not used to the power yet. Then suddenly it brakes contact and the portal up in the sky disappears.

Panting, I turned around to see Loki walking over to me menacingly. His fist contracts my face which makes me stumble backwards. I rub my face and tilt my head.

"Give up, Mischief. You lost the game."

A pathetic punch gets thrown at me with a dagger in his hand but I catch him off guard by snatching his fist. A smile crosses my face. But when he grins, I quirk an eyebrow. Too slow to react, he already entered my mind full of memories.

Trying to concentrate, I hope I would block him out and show him only an illusion.

What we both don't know, is that the illusion is a mixture of both our memories and fantasies...