Hospital

Third p.o.v.

"Where is it?" Steve pushes Natasha to a wall in the next cleaning closet.

"Safe."

"Do better!", he says annoyed.

"Where did you get it?", Natasha starts to interrogate as Steve asks her why he would tell her. He reminds himself of what Fury said. To trust no one. But the good spy Agent Romanoff is, she figures it out. "Fury gave it to you. Why?"

They discuss further until the Winter Soldier is brought up by Natasha.

Steve lets her go, his face softens when he realizes she doesn't know more than him. "So, he's a ghost story."

"Five years ago, I was sent on a mission to steal some files. On the way back somebody shot out my tires. The car lost control and went straight over a cliff, and I got out, but the Winter Soldier was there. He went for the files, he shot straight through me." She pulls up her shirt to show him the scar on the side of her stomach. "I had a short glimpse of that file. The Reaper's name was on it. Maybe she can help us."

"How? Shadow and Loki escaped on their mission. They're all ghosts now."

As Steve ended his sentence, something behind them rumbles. As if they got heard, Loki falls through the portal with Shadow on his lap. Loki groans as he stands up while she's still unconscious.

"Loki!", Steve takes him by the neck and pushes him to the next wall. "What did you do?"

Natasha crouches down to check up on Shadow as all of them notice how bruised up she is. Loki raises his hands in surrender after he recognizes what a situation he just got in.

"I swear, this was not my doing. We were battling against the Dark Elves in Svartalfheim. Shadow got injured as she defeated their leader and the rest of them. I cannot describe what in the following events happened. All I know is that she collapsed into my arms and teleported us here while Thor and Jane are still in that realm."

Steve loosens his grip on the God while he turns over to Natasha. "Do you believe him?"

"I know you do not trust me. But trust her. She's something... special.", Loki speaks softly and his eyes seem to shine with happiness as he talks About her.

"It sounds quite far-fetched but after the attack on New York. He sounds truthful. Does she need help?"

"How can we help her, Natasha? We're hiding from the government."

"Why are you hiding?", Loki asks after Steve finally lets him fully go.

"Fury died and we can't trust anyone until further."

"We have just spoken about her. I believe she knows something," Natasha adds. But her face turns into doubt when she watches Shadow's body glowing red. "What is happening to her?"

Loki's eyes widen as he picks her up. "We must leave," he mutters and is about to open the door but Natasha stops him from doing it.

"You can't leave like that. You'd cause attraction and the people here still hate you for the invasion. Let us handle it and we'll give you a sign to escape."

Loki sighs and taps his foot impatiently. "Fine, but do it quick. She cannot handle her powers and might explode without injuring people, including us."

Natasha grabs something out of her pocket. It is her bracelets to restrain her powers. Loki looks at her very vaguely, not being amused about it. But he sees that her glowing stopped and he accepted her idea. He nods thanks to the spy before she leaves.

"Explode?", Steve questions but shakes it quickly off to cause a distraction for them to sneak out.

Loki grows more impatient with every gone minute. He puts a strand of hair out of her face and lays a hand on her bruised throat. He uses his healing magic to calm her down. It breaks him to see her sore limp and pale.

Out of nowhere, Loki hears the alarm and he takes it as a signal. The people in the hospital were running wild, trying to escape a danger which doesn't even exist. He sees Natasha and follows her through a door up to the roof.

"This is your plan?", Loki scoffs as he sees nothing. "What a brilliant plan, Agent Romanoff. Let's bring a ticking bomb up the roof so everyone will see the bright vibrant red exploding on top of this hospital."

"Are you done?", Steve asks next to Loki who was leaning against the wall until they made it up the roof. "The Quinjet is invisible. It's also the fastest way to bring us somewhere unnoticed."

"Let's go!", Natasha orders from the Quinjet and they get inside.

The Quinjets start to fly while Loki lays Shadow gently on the floor. Every time he sees her body jerking, he uses his magic to calm her. His eyes never leave her.

"She grew on you, didn't she?", Steve says quietly as he observed him healing her from time to time. Loki rolls his eyes. "You know, I didn't trust you, and neither her but she tamed you."

"She hasn't tamed me. I do what I want."

"Really? Then why are you healing her?" Steve raises a brow and smiles softly.

Loki stops touching her, and thinks about the words he said. His mouth opens with narrowed eyes but not a word slip out his tongue. He damns his silver tongue for not coming up with a remark at that Moment. He sighs defeated and continues healing her.

"Buckle up, we're about to land!", Natasha says from the pilot seat and approaches a forest. "We still have a long road before us. Let's get moving."

Steve gets up from his seat and walks towards Shadow. He is about to pick her up but Loki stands in the way. "I dare you to touch her," he growls and picks her up by himself.

The Captain hides his smile of victory. "I'm the last person who will ever hurt her. I only wanted to offer you to carry her for you."

Loki glares at him as they follow Natasha. "You think weak of me?"

Steve was about to take a breath before talking but the spy responded without turning her head. "He's a soldier, build for strength. I don't say you're weak, Loki. But your strength is in your magic. We all should Focus on what we're good at in the Moment. Steve, where should we go anyway?"

"New Jersey." Suddenly Shadow says in a tiny trembling voice. "We'll find answers where you got recruited, Cap."

————————————

Author's Note:

Welcome to the Winter Soldier's arc.

Honestly, this is my favorite arc because you will get to know Shadow Butcher a bit more.
I hope you will like it too.

So let me know what you think of my story so far!
Don't forget to comment && vote, that'll keep all authors motivated to write :)