God of Mischief

Shadow's p.o.v.

In the middle of the city, I get off the bike and take down the hood that covers my face. The people are all still so unaware of what will happen next. Since it's still morning, the business people are ordering their coffee at the few coffee shops. Women are strolling around and getting inside the locals, probably all going for a shopping spree.

And when I see children, my heart sinks. I try to break free from my body but it is still under the influence of HYDRA. Boys and girls wear their backpacks, and those bags are almost equal to the size of the children. Teenagers are talking to each other with their happy smiles while they show their friends something on their phones. Speaking about all the innocent dramas and gossip.

All so innocent and...free.

I try to scream, to get out of this trance but nothing happens. I still walk toward the center and grab my two guns out of my holster. From the shop's windows, I can see my uncovered face. No emotions are shown. Just my manipulated alias. I am just the assassin they have programmed me for.

Taking up my pace as I reach closer to the central, I take out the guns and reload them. A few suspicious glances can be seen from the people. I sense their fear as a few start to walk faster to get away from the scene.

When I reach the middle of D.C., police officers stand in my way. The sirens light up the bright city as they tell me to put my weapons down. I point my guns at the officers and before they can shoot, I did it first. The bullets fly their way to their forehead. But I tilt my head as the bullets evaporate with a green shimmer.

An evil chuckle behind me, makes me turn on my heels and I face Loki. His golden-horned helmet appears as he slowly saunters towards me with his fully armored Asgardian clothing. My heart skips for a moment, although my face probably still stays the same. A mask to show nothing but emptiness, even though I'm scared of killing more innocent people and at the same time safe because Loki could defeat me.

"Is the God of Mischief going to kill me now?", my manipulated self speaks and aims the gun at him.

He smiles, though his eyes show a bitter taste of mischief. "I want to see you try, Goddess."

I put my finger on the trigger but I try to scream instead. I try to fight myself to not hurt him. To not do any harm. I can see that Loki lets out a small sigh of relief. My controlled body hesitates but yet it pulls the trigger and shoots. Loki blocks the bullet with his dagger.

For a moment the change in his demeanor is replaced. His empathy washed over with contempt. He saunters towards me and launches a punch at my face which I dodge.

Ducked down, I sweep my feet to kick him down but he pulls me right back up and pushed me onto the ground. Loki is definitely angry and he lets me feel it. He doesn't go easy on me. I hit my head on the concrete and grunt in pain, but I still manage to jump back onto my feet.

"You are weak, Goddess of Death." He raises his arms to the side with his signature smile. Around us, people run away from fear. "You see, Butcher. You think you can cause devastation but I am the true God of Mischief."

He kicks me back to the floor, he's too strong for me to keep on without my powers but I can't let my mind-controlled body take advantage of them. My leg hurts and I can feel the bruise painting the skin. He towers over me, looking down at me with pure disgust.

"And you aren't stealing my Show, are you?"

What?, I ask myself. Is he really doing this? Was this all a game to him? Just to be the villain he always used to be? But I thought it wasn't him. He told me that, didn't he?

I realize that my body breaks out of its character. I'm getting through it, but yet not enough to be fully in control.

I get up and throw a dagger at him. Honestly, I'm not even sure if it was me-me or the brainwashed me.

Loki catches the dagger one-handed and throws it on the floor as if it were nothing but pathetic. He takes long strides at me. I back away but I walk right into his trap.

The Illusion of his body disappears before me and I bump into his broad chest. He snakes one hand around my chest to pull me closer to him. I grunt at the harsh crash. My breathing heaves as my heart pounds harder against my chest which doesn't make it even easier to breathe.

"I am Loki, of Asgard, and I am burdened with glorious Purpose. And who are you again?" He pushes me away and I stumble on my feet, causing me to fall onto my knees. "That's it, kneel before me." He smirks and points his dagger at me, dangerously close to my skull.

My head is low, I look up through my eyelashes and grit my teeth. Grabbing his dagger with both of my hands, I turn it around and point the dagger still in his hand at his chest.

"And I am Shadow Butcher, the female Reaper. But you know who I truly am. And you are my mission," my voice trembles. I didn't intend to say that, it's still the mind control but I know my emotions come through.

Loki chuckles darkly as the dagger vanishes and gets it replaced in his other Hand. The blade is immediately on the skin of my throat while his other hand is placed on my shoulder to keep me in my kneeling position.

"Mark my words," he seethes and pushes the dagger deeper into my skin. I feel the skin getting pierced and a drop of blood traces down my neck. "Your deity means nothing to me. You are only a pawn in my game."

My heart breaks. So, this is it. His confession on using me this whole time. And this is the reason why I should never let myself fall in love again. I feel the strings of HYDRA slipping away and getting to control my body again. But at the moment, I'd rather stay in the HYDRA's hands than on my own.

"Bow down before your king," his voice is filled with pride and threat. He sees me doing nothing- He lets out a loud growl, his eyes darkening even more if it's possible. "I said: Bow. Down. Now!"

I stand my ground but yet, I gulp as I almost tear up, but I still blink my tears away. "A dangerous game can only be played by two."

He chuckles and loosens his grip a bit but not fully. "But I am the God of Mischief, and I do not fear death. This was always my game." His dagger vanishes but he replaces the weapon with his hand. Slowly smothering me as he leans down to my ear, whispering with a trace of authority in it. "Who is in charge now, princess?"

My breath hitches and he chuckles amused. A shiver runs down my spine, my breathing ragged and I close my eyes to stop the tears that threaten to fall. But I can sense the control from HYDRA's Serum dissipates.

"At least I have control over my body again. Go ahead, then. Kill me. Do it," I pause to take a sharp breath. "Because I know I can't die."

His grip loosens slightly and a hint of sorrow can be seen in his dark emerald eyes.

"Loki!", Steve shouts behind us. "Do it now!"

Loki blinks to cast an illusion of his true emotions. He hesitates at first but eventually, he knocks me out by slamming me down onto the hard concrete.