I am Shadow Butcher

With a terrible headache, I wake up but still don't have the strength to open up my eyes yet.

"Why New York, huh?" I hear a new male voice coming out from the room I am staying in. A frustrated growl escapes from Loki's lips. "Not that I complain. It just seems all the movies show New York in destruction."

I had to smile at that fact. The stranger wasn't wrong. I blink my eyes open and adjust my vision to the unfamiliar room. It was a simple bedroom and it takes me by surprise. As I sit up, feeling a little dizzy, I remain seated and continue to eavesdrop on their conversation instead.

"Did you know about her?", Steve asks.

Loki chuckles. "I've seen through her scheme. Although she is a strong competitor, she has fallen for my tricks." There is a pause. "However, Shadow is full of misery, a powerful being you might want to have on your side."

"Let me guess, you want to have the power on your side?", Natasha asks.

"No." Again, there's a heavy silence. "You wouldn't believe anything if I say, I'd be on her side simply  because of her."

My heart flusters for his explanation. Although it hurt a bit when he told them I have fallen for his trick and I don't even know what he means by that. A shuffle is being heard and I focus back on their conversation instead of my petty heart.

"Maybe we have to trust you on this for one time.", Steve answers.

Clutching my abdomen, I hiss in pain as I get up. The negative thing about these power dampeners: is I lose my accelerated healing too. And I am absolutely not familiar with this. Although, scratch that. I was but that should stay in my past and memory.

"She isn't your enemy, Soldier," Loki's voice erupts with a trace of venom.

It seems that they are fighting. Through the pain, I missed a few sentences of the conversation. I slowly open the door to see them arguing.

"But we can't trust her either, she was there, for HYDRA," Steve replies and looks at me concerned when I interrupt their little conversation.

If HYDRA is still out there, it is a huge threat to this world. And if I want my redemption, the only way to get it is to talk about my fatal mistake.

"And what if I tell you my whole story?" I ask limping to the dining table and greeting the black man. "I'm Shadow Butcher." I extend my hand to him.

"Sam. Sam Wilson."

Everyone except for the new guy here, had shocking expressions on their faces. Probably because it is the first time I'm introducing myself with my real name.

"You still owe us.", Natasha smirks with a worried look on her face since she probably saw through my fake persona.

I nod back and take a seat on the chair that Loki pulled out for me to sit on. My body shakes a little from thinking even about it but I take a deep long breath to calm my nerves before I start. The Black Widow was right, I still do owe them my back story after the invasion in New York. I had left them clueless before I half-joined the Avengers.

"She's the Goddess of Death, what explanation do you still want to hear?", Loki questions with a cold and smug tone.

"We didn't even know that she's one of you," Steve replies and crosses his arms.

I pull at Loki's tunic and his piercing eyes soften when he looks at me. "You know only little about me."

He narrows his eyes but nods his head for me to start explaining. "Very well, Princess. Go ahead."