Nightmare

After I finally packed my bag with all the stuff I needed for London, I received a call from Fury that it was urgent to leave tonight already. Thus, I knock on Loki's door telling him we need to go now. It is going to be a six to seven hours flight. On the quinjet, I lay myself to sleep since it is already past midnight.

"I let you out to be a protector of this world!"

The voice booms in my head, which I haven't heard in centuries. I am standing in front of a man who holds his two kids in his arms, his wife is already dead. I just shot her in the head as I let him watch closely how the woman lost blood. It is so much blood on the floor that it smells metallic in the room.

"Please, spare the lives of my kids and take me instead." 

The man pleads and shoves his son and daughter, barely old enough to even remember any of this incident, behind his back and gets up. He guides my gun in my hands to his forehead as he shuts his eyes close to wait for me to pull the trigger.

"I raised you to be better!"

The roar in my head gets louder and my hands start to tremble. I tell the man to get down onto his knees and to tell me the information I need for my master.

"Ich Weiss Nicht!" he yells and raises his hands in surrender. (I don't know-German)

I kneel and tilt his head up with the gun. "I know you know." And I  press slightly on the trigger but am not yet ready to shoot.

The children beg for me to stop, and yell for mercy for their father. Their high-pitched screams hurt my ears and I do my best to ignore the pain. I shush them and try to calm them down. I even send them to go play in their bedroom. As they left with a few sobs I return my attention to the man.

"Okay, gut! It is in a church in Trondheim, Sweden."

I straighten my posture and pull the gun away. "Thank you for your cooperation, Herr Müller."

Mr. Müller puts his hands back on the floor, his arms supporting his weight. He is relieved that I didn't shoot but he is being too hasty. Once he is calm, I aim my gun at him and pull the trigger.

"What have you done, my daughter?"

"Shut up, father. You aren't here." I mutter to myself as I walk to the children's bedroom.

They are happily playing with their toys and didn't even notice the gunshot outside. I sigh deeply and then one shot and two shots. The kids are dead, with no witnesses as was wished.

Always told me I would never harm any children, but this time there was no way out. My plan didn't work out, unfortunately, his wife decided to surprise him with a visit from his kids. And it was my mission to get information about an ancient relict and kill the target along with all the witnesses.

Blaming myself, I feel remorse and pick up the kids. I lay them on each of their beds and put a stuffed animal in their arms. I close their eyes and pull the blanket to hide them underneath it.

When I step out of the house, I wasn't in Austria anymore. Instead surrounded by the alps I am surrounded by the desert. Turning on my heels, I the house I just left was gone too.

Suddenly I feel a hot breath on top of me and as I glance up I see him. With his claw, he cuts my left eye which was meant for me to look up into his glowing ruby-red eyes.

Before he could grab me into his giant hands...

I grab someone's neck and push him into the Quinjet's wall.