Crossing the Line

Before I got to the stairways, I got snatched by my biceps. Steve turns me around to a halt. I raise a brow expectantly for him to explain himself. It was already hard enough for me to find an excuse for Tony on why I was leaving his party minutes after Loki disappeared.

"Just in case," Steve lowers his head and voice, so it only can be heard by me, "if Bucky ever turns up, let's keep it between us."

He then lets go of my upper arm. A defeated sigh escapes my mouth, remembering our little cutoff conversation before the party even started.

Steve explained how the Winter Soldier kicked his ass-not with those exact words- but at least Steve managed to escape after breaking him a bit. Although he wanted to run after him, Steve was more concerned about my condition. That is the reason why he came after Loki and me, letting his best friend go. Not forever but until he finds the right time to chase after him.

"Don't you think it's better to introduce him to the team? You said you had reached him even if it's only for a tiny bit but that's at least something and better than nothing," I tell him.

Steve frowns and crosses his arms. "If you'd at least tell them that you got captured by HYDRA too, they'd understand."

With squinted eyes, I purse my lips and click my tongue. "Ah, you're afraid of the outcome with Tony."

Steve lets out a sharp breath, "I'm more worried he won't hear any of us out."

I open the door to the stairwell and before I go, I tilt my head to the side, "As far as I am concerned, you should know that I do what I want. We'll see whatever outcome follows."

The door shuts close and I quickly run up the stairs to our quarters. Because right now, I have the guts, to tell the truth. And I need to get it off my chest before I can change my mind again. The cold temperature from the corridor fills my lungs, making them burn with every breath I take, yet, I ignore it and go after my target.

And before I even made it to the last few steps, I heard muffled grunting noises along the screeching metal. Stopping in my tracks, I take out my dagger that I have hidden on my upper thigh from my holster and tip-toe to my final destination.

A groan of pain is clearly heard as I peek around the corner, I see Loki lying flat on his back with squinted eyes and bared teeth. He shifts his weight onto his elbows, letting out a puff of breath from the beforehand blow.

"I am not your enemy, Soldier," Loki says carefully as he staggers back up onto his feet, flipping his hair.

When I caught the reflecting metal arm attacking Loki's throat, I let go of my dagger and jumped to get in their sight. "Both of you, stop!"

Bucky still being protective, squeezes the God's throat tighter and slams him against the wall, which makes Loki hiss in pain. Even though I know it needs more than just that, I still am afraid of Loki being several injured. It worries me and I can't move. I'm standing behind them paralyzed, holding my breath.

"He hurt you and I've come to get you out of here," Bucky says without sending a death glare before the man in front of him.

Loki glances over me, noticing that I'm still searching for the correct lines. So, Loki raises his hands in surrender, straining against the Winter Soldier's hold.

"You are right. I did hurt her," Bucky tightens his grip, which makes Loki growl in response as if he's fighting the urge to snap at him, "yet, you were mainly the reason why I needed to free her mind or am I wrong?", Loki smirks.

Someone pushes past me and grabs Bucky's arms from behind. "Buck, it's me," Steve tells him which makes Bucky release the trickster.

"Let me go," Bucky warns Steve while shoving him away and taking a step towards me, "Why are you still with them?"