Pre-Poker Night

Tony mentioned wearing something fancy for tonight and since I don't have many choices of clothing, I wore my green dress from the very first party. I was finishing my make-up for the party to match everything once again. When I put down my lipstick, my stomach starts to churn.

Swallowing makes it worse and so I stagger towards the toilet, getting onto my knees and leaning over the seat. There it goes, my cheeseburger from earlier. Spitting out some acid, I make sure that everything bad got out already before I decide to stand back up.

Tony's device better work and it better be quick. My body is getting weaker with every passing day. And if hell exists, this feels like it.

I hear a soft knock outside the bathroom and I curse under my breath as I wipe my mouth with some toilet paper. "Shadow, is everything all right?"

Shooting back to my feet, I tap the flush and answer Loki: "Yeah, just threw some old makeup away."

I can lie to him through a shut door. He can't detect any lies without reading my mimic, couldn't he?

Silence. I take the opportunity to brush my teeth at high speed and rinse my mouth with minty mouthwash to avoid any bad breath. I checked one last time in the mirror, to see if my getting ill did anything with my masterpiece on my face, but it didn't.

"By all means, woman. How much longer do you need to get ready?", Loki whines and glances at me side-eyed as I open up the door. He leans impatiently against the door frame and I roll my eyes at him.

"Such a gentleman. Anyways, there's no reason to be one, I'm not a lady at all. You should know by now.", I comment back and go straight to my room.

Loki follows suit as I sit on my bed and put on my high heels. When I'm finally all done and ready to leave, I notice Loki's wearing the same suit from the last party we had attended. Seems we both had the same idea.

Yet, this time, he looks even better. His jawline was sharper than ever if you touched it, it could cut you. Maybe it's also because his hair has grown longer. They've fallen back loose but he put it slick behind and I can only say that this God before me looks more handsome than ever.

Loki clears his throat and smirks with a raised brow. I blush when I see he was holding out his arm this whole time for me to sling my arm around it while I was drooling over him. And so I do ignore my shame and hook my arm around his.

"Do you need to be a lady?", he asks in a gentle and soft tone with a genuine smile plastered on his face.

Also, he pulled me closer as if he were questioning me about something that I might not want to answer. My breath hitches when I feel him putting his hands around my waist. His emerald gems bore into mine, waiting for a response in words or movement.

"So, do you need to be a lady?"

Trying my best not to show how my body reacts to his voice and touch, I take a small breath. "You expect manners. A lady has one, a bitch doesn't."

Loki's smile turns into a wicked smirk and a glimmer of amusement flickers in his eyes. "You're not wrong but not correct either, princess."

He takes his hands off my waist. My body misses his touch the very second it left and so I snatch his wrist and put it back where they were before. I bite my inner cheek at my ridiculous attempt at affection but for now, it's the best I can do.

His lips pull into a small smile and squints his eyes a bit after what I have done. "What's your goal here? To play with me?" He pauses. His eyes darken a bit from disappointment before they wash away very briskly and are replaced with hope after he notices my straight face. "Or something else?"

His hand is again placed on my waist, and my hand moves down to reach one of his. "If someone's playing that would be you and I'm not sure if I want to play along," I say sternly to show him that I'm done with hiding.

Loki pulls my hand to his chest and my heart flutters, probably matching his heartbeat where I can feel it pounding against his chest. "And I'll tell you, I'm not playing either." He then brings my hand to his lips and leaves a soft wet kiss on the back of my hand. I shudder at the feeling. Loki looks through his eyelashes with a smirk. "Does my little reaper like this?"

I take a sharp breath before pulling my hand away. "I've never felt like this before and I'm not sure if I want to like it or not."

He doesn't move yet. His grip is still firm on my waist as he stares at me, waiting. But since I'm only staring back, he starts to trail his hands down my thighs, back to my waist, and up to my chest. I let out a small chuckle and looked down embarrassed.

I wasn't ticklish but when he did that, I felt the sparks shooting through my body. Something I have never experienced all my lifetime. Only with him. And it felt special. Something I can get used to it.

He leans down and whispers into my ear, making damn sure his breath hits my skin sends another shudder down my spine, "Answer me, darling."

"Maybe a bit too much," I whisper back and look into his dilated pupils after he leans back.

Loki grins mischievously. "Oh, really?", he asks in a calm voice that has this subtle teasing in it. "But I suggest we stop it here, do you not agree?"

He lets go of me but still offers me his hand. I clear my throat and take his hand after brushing off the wrinkles on my dress. "I actually didn't mind the flirting with you. I mean, we need to work as partners in the future anyway."

Loki chuckles as he presses the button to call the elevator. The door slides open and I take a step inside. Until I get turned around and my back slams against the wall of the lift. His arms are on each side of my head as he cages me in and his body is pressed against mine. He leans in closer and I sniff his cologne which makes me go wild but now is not the time to untame the beast. Not when the elevator is already on its way down to the floor where the other Avengers await us.

"Well, I cannot be too flirty with the Goddess of Death, can I?" He pauses and brushes his lips against mine but we're not kissing yet. I whimper slightly from how close we were but yet so far to lock his lips on mine to seal it with a kiss. "We'd both just die in torment if we continued this little game."

Just when he ended his sentence, the door reopened and he backed away. He walks backward with a devilish smirk on his face, winking at me before he turns around and greets the others at the table.

"I'm so fucked," I mutter under my breath and tip-toe outside and greet the others too as if nothing ever happened after brushing my hair with my fingers.