013

Later That Night

If someone had to drop a pen on one of the floors above you, you'd hear it.

The school building doesn't exactly have an appealing feeling when it's dark and lifeless.

There's two hours left before midnight.

And you're pretty sure you left your phone in your locker.

Footsteps suddenly echoes, and a gush of wind brushes your ears. The entrance door creaks, like someone's opening and closing it.

If this was a movie or novel, a shadow figure or monster would be seen lurking through the walls right about now. Or maybe a lunatic walking around with a chain saw, blood dripping from their hospital-gown-clad-body.

Thankfully, this is reality.

You reach your locker and open it, just as a hand touches your shoulder. It makes your heart skip a beat and a fist swinging.

Maybe it was the adrenaline taking over.

Probably the determination of getting out alive.

You knew you shouldn't have watched those horror movies.

"What the heck do you think you're doing? Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" You say between breath.

"Actually no. But-" Groaning, Jungkook gets up from the floor and wipes the side of his lips with the back of his hand. "-I could ask you the same thing. What are you doing here? It's late."

You apparently punched him so hard it made him fall and bleed. Feel any remorse? No. He shouldn't be scaring people like that.

"I left my phone." A long pause. "What are you doing here?"

"I stopped by at your place and guess what? No one was home. You weren't picking up your phone, couldn't find you in the park so yeah. School. Tada."

"What were you doing at my house?"

"I uh...Wanted to borrow some notes. You know. From today. Chem was it? Yeah chem. Fell asleep. Totally didn't write anything down."

"Uh uh."

"You don't believe me?"

"I can't say I do." Grabbing your phone, you close your locker and walk ahead.

"Okay fine. But. But. "A pointer finger up, he blocks the path causing you to stop. "Why the face though ?"

"What do you mean?"

"You're giving me that look. Like I'm some ten year old kid trying to convince their parents I didn't steal their money- you know what? I don't always jot down everything I learn at school." He's been awfully defensive today. You blink your eyes and he sighs.

"You still don't believe me do you?"

"I mean obviously."

"Why?"

"Maybe because chemistry's like child's play to you?"

"Pfft. As if. That subject's harder tha-"

"Listen, just admit you wanted to see me. Don't give me all that crap." All morning, Iseul has done nothing but annoy the life out of you. And having this nonsense conversation with him isn't making you feel any better.

"Well someone seems to be an bad moo-"

You hush him. A distant click. Like someone dropped something. "Someone's here." It sounded as if a pen had hit the floor. Or anything that's light. Can be carried with mere fingers.
Maybe there is a lunatic lurking the halls.

"Well, yeah it's-" Trailing off, he looks around him and then rolls his eyes. "For the love god. Iseul."

Oh. Oh. So no madman carrying a chainsaw. Instead, someone dad worse.

Would you look at that?

He brought his little sister along with him.

How nice.

"And that's my cue to leave."

"Wait. Hold on." Snaking an arm around your waist, he lifts you to face Iseul. The opposite side of where the exit is. "Before you leave, I'm pretty sure Iseul has something important to say to you."

There's no point struggling since he obviously has a tight grip on you. So you give him a side eye. "Is this why you were looking for me? Couldn't this wait until tomorrow?"

"Unfortunately, no. Iseul."

"I'm sorry."

You're not the slightest bit impressed.

But If accepting her apology is all it takes for him to let you go, then you'll do what you have to do.

"There. She said she's sorry. Now let go of me-"

"We already talked about this, Iseul. That wasn't sincere enough."

You just have to butt in, don't you big guy?

The girl looks like she's about to cry. Much to your surprise.

This talk he mentioned. How did he talk to her exactly? You'd think he tortured her to come out like this?

You never know.

Iseul puckers her lips and doesn't even try to hide the fact that she's crying. Seconds later, she's wailing and filling the classroom with her cries.

"I-I'm sorry. I.. I didn't mean to do any o-of those. I..I-I just wanted to see if...to see if...I wanted her t-to get mad at m-me."

She's still fourteen.

And not surprisingly, a cry baby.