054

"Remind me again why we're hiding inside the janitor's closet?"

"My father sent two of his men disguised as substitute teachers. And I think- well I don't think. I know they're looking for you." Jimin peeks through the door to check if the coast is clear. "I'm not exactly sure what the old man has up his sleeves but they're never good. Looks like we lost them. If we make a run for it now, we can make it to class on time."

"What makes you think they're after me?"

"They kidnapped you once and you escaped. Need I explain more? Aside from that, they know you're connected to Jungkook. They capture you, they capture his weakness." He pushes the door to the classroom open and lets you go inside first. "In other words. You're in terrible danger. Maybe now you can put that Taehyung guy into good use."

You raise your eyebrow at him.

"I'd like to stay around and chat some more, but I better get to class. And as much as I hate Taehyung, I'd stick around him as much as I can if I were you."

"You think I can't take care of myself."

"Oh, I know you can. But two heads are better than one am I right? Chào."

When he leaves the room, that's when Jungkook enters. He looks you with narrowed eyes like he's demanding an explanation

Why were you talking to him?

A dark shade circling his left eye captures your attention. "Did someone beat you up?" There's a visible difference in coloration and you're pretty sure it hasn't been long since he revived a punch. You're about to touch it when he looks away.

"Even if I did, it's not like you care." What's with this salty attitude of his? Is it because he saw you talking to Jimin?

Obviously.

"Am I not allowed to talk to anyone then?"

"Want the honest truth from me? Yes. If I could have things my way, I wouldn't let you step foot outside." His voice brings chills all over your body.

"You're sick."

He rolls his eyes and walks past you, bumping your shoulder in the process. Those curious stares gradually divert their attention some place else.

First you find out you're being hunted by men impersonating themselves as teachers and now your best friend's threatening you.

Then again, when has he never threatened you?

Class begins the second Mr Chan enters. He grabs a marker and scribbles words on the board. "The true self and the false self are a psychological dualism conceptualized by English psychoanalyst Donald Winnicott. Winnicott used "true self" to denote a sense of self based on spontaneous authentic experience and a feeling of being alive, having a real self with little to no contradiction. Now can anyone here tell me what the opposite of that is? Mr Jeon?"

"False Self."

"Care to brief us on that?"

" It rests on the surface, as the self presented to the world. It stands in contrast to the true self that resides behind the facade or image. "

"Exactly. Real-life examples of the false self are based around certain beliefs that we take on in order to fit into our worlds better. If I am pretty, I will be more likeable. If I have a lot of money, I am successful. If I work hard more, I will have more value. " He says. "It is an artificial persona that people create very early in life to protect themselves from re-experiencing developmental trauma, shock, and stress in close relationships. It relates to negative affectivity, especially when adolescents try to hide their true self and they have this feeling that they are not good enough for others."