044

It was around midnight when you woke up, feeling thirsty. The silence of the condo brought shivers down your spine like a snake. If you were at your father's house, it'd be impossible to walk around so easily. You quench your thirst with a glass of water and press a palm against your neck. The burning sensation makes you curl your lips in disappointment. Getting sick is just a waste of time. You have to work. You have to go to school. It's impossible to do anything if you're not feeling well. But as much as you'd want to get better, you know you have to wait.

The lights have been switched off except for the one In the hallway.

The condominium's five times bigger than your house. It has the view of the city lights facing the living room. There's a single bedroom- your aunt's room. It has a kitchen. An appealing bathroom. The walls are painted a soothing gray. It even has a mini bar corner.

Aunt Mira has yet to return. Taehyung's fast asleep on the couch. There's a book resting on his chest.

Sherlock Holmes.

That's the title imprinted on the cover of the book. Upon further inspection, goosebumps can be seen trailing the surface of Taehyung's arm. He's freezing. You grab a fresh blanket from your aunt's room and place it over his body, making sure his neck area's covered and warm. It was never your intention to wake up him. But the moment you realize he had opened his eyes and had his gaze fixated on you, your heart nearly jumps off the cavity of your chest.

The proximity makes you flinch back, bumping the coffee table in the process. As pain courses through your body, the sound alerts the boy on the couch.

"Hey are you okay?" Taehyung quickly gets up to check on you and allows the blanket to fall messily on the carpeted floor. The book follows suit, grounded to the floor. A red bump can be seen around your upper arm area and he tsks. "You should've been careful. Consider yourself lucky you didn't hit your head."

Soft hands gently begin to rub the sore part of your arm and you find yourself zoning out while staring at him.

You can see his focused eyes through the blanket of his hovering hair.

Despite the dim light, you're able to make out the beauty mark sitting at the tip of his nose. Maybe it's the sickness causing you to enter a trance.

But has he always been this good looking? The boy you once knew when you were a kid. He's changed.

Suddenly he presses his hand against your forehead, features contoured with concern.

His fingers feels cold to the touch, causing the ends of your hair to stand. "You're still burning up."

The way his voice trails off his lips in a hoarse manner is enough to let you know he was really in a deep sleep.

You can't help but frown as your last encounter plays in your head.

When he left you with those harsh words at the rooftop of the school, it terrified you.

Taehyung's one of your cherished friend.

It'd kill you if you were to lose him. You know he's worried.

And it bothers you so much that you can't tell him anything.

Not because you don't want to. But because you believe things would be better this way.

"I'm sorry." Before you can think twice, these words leave you. "I'm sorry I can't tell you anything."

You're well aware that those people who caused your mother's accident are still out there.

You know he's only working side by side with your aunt because he thinks if he exposes himself to the dangerous world, he'll be able to bring your mother justice.

In other words, he's trying to figure out the people behind the accident.

He wants to help. But you don't want him to get hurt. Especially since those people aren't normal.

Slowly his gaze softens and he trails his hand to cup your cheek.

It's not until he uses his thumb to gently caress you that you realize a tear had cascaded from your eye.

"You don't have to tell me anything. I'll figure it out myself."

Taehyung has no idea how much those words affect you.

He's gonna get hurt. "Just focus on getting better okay? You can do that right? Of course you can."

"You have no idea what you're getting yourself into."

That gentle smile. Filled with concern and fear."Are you worried?"

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't."

The Following Morning

You wake up to the smell of bacon. With a hand rubbing your eye, you saunter yo the kitchen where you find Taehyung facing the stove with an apron tied around his waist. He senses your presence and turns with the pan in his hand.

"You're up early. You feeling okay?"

Surprisingly, you don't feel bad at all. You nod your head, looking around. "Is aunt Mira back yet?

"Not yet. She called an hour ago and said she's cooped up at work. Breakfast?"

"You don't have to ask twice. Did you make all these?" You gesture the pancakes, bacons, waffles and fried sausages. You reach for the container of kimchi and take a wiff of it, filling your lungs with satisfaction. Taehyung observes with an expecting gaze as you taste the kimchi.

"Holy crap. This is so good."

"Really? It's my first time making it actually."

"Its really really good." You exaggerate the word really, taking another mouth full of it. When you notice him just standing, you gesture him to quickly sit down. As if on cue, your phone lights up, indicating a message had come through. You glance at the contact name and ignore it. "If I knew you were this great at cooking, I'd have asked you to cook for me."

"Slow down." He chuckles. "You're eating like you hav not eaten in days."

You playfully roll your eyes and take another bite of the sausage. "You're still not eating anything."

"I'm good. Watching you eat is enough."

"You're awfully corny right now. I don't like it."

Another chuckle slips of his lips, just as your phone lightens up again. Taehyung steals a glance.

"Aren't you gonna answer him?"

"Not really. I don't feel like fighting right now."

"You guys quarrel a lot uh?"

The pancake literally melts in your mouth, blasting your tastebuds with flavors. "Yeah. But it's normal between friends I guess."

Taehyung clasps his leans fingers together and rests his elbows on top of the table. "I still don't think it's a good idea to be around him."

"You know if you're just jealous there's no need to beat around the bush." You say playfully, expecting some sort of denial or a look of disgust.

In the end, you don't get any.

Except a serious answer that makes freeze in the spot.

"I'm jealous. And annoyed you still haven't noticed my feelings for you."