37

A hidden trap in the writing of history is the disregard for the fact that conditions within nations and races change with the changing of times and the passing of days. The condition of the world and nations, their customs and groups, do not remain in the same form or in a constant manner. Differences and changes arise according to past days and times - from one state to another. This is the case with individuals, times and cities and in the same way with regions and districts, periods and dynasties.

Ibn Khaldun, al-Tarikh (Diwan al-Mubtada' wa al-Khabr [...])

In seventh-century Arabia, nine years of age was not considered precocious for puberty, at least among girls. This was reported by Aisha herself and is confirmed by other information. Harb bin Isma'il Al-Kirmani states:

Ishaq [bin Rahawayh] reported to us on the authority of the Zakariyya bin 'Adi of Abu Malih [Al-Raqiy] from Habib bin Abi Marzuq that 'Aisha said, "When a girl turns nine, she is a woman."

al-Tirmidhi, al-Sunan/ al- Jami' al-Kabir, vol. 2, 480 (under hadith 1109).

Elucidating this tradition, al-Baihaqi states:

This means, "she menstruates [at nine] and is thus a woman, and Allah knows better."

Abu Bakr, Sunan al-Kubra, vol. 1, 476

There are reports of marriages taking place at the onset of puberty. Mu'awiya bin Abi Sufyan married his nine-year-old daughter Hind to 'Abdullah bin 'Amir bin Kuraiz.

Ibn 'Asakir, Abu al-Qasim, Tarikh al-Damishq

Abu al-'Asim al-Dhahak mentions that his mother was only twelve years older than him. He was born in 122/740 and his mother in 110/728-29.

Al-Kalabadhi, Abu Nasr, al-Hidaya wa al-Irshad fi Ma'rifah Ahl al-Thiqa wa al-Sidad

Al-Shafi'i also mentioned that women in Tihama (Western Arabia) reached puberty at the age of nine. He also reported seeing a twenty-one-year-old grandmother in San'a (Yemen).

Abu Bakr, Sunan al-Kubra, vol. 1, 476

Aisha's marriage was completely in accordance with the norms of her time, which did not contradict reason or the laws.