116

Imam Ibn al-Qayyim, رحمه الله, reported:

"A certain king built a house like no one had ever seen and like no one had ever heard of. There was no house more beautiful and spacious, and no house in which there were so many pleasures. So he paved the way to that house and sent a herald to invite people to it. And on the road leading to the house he planted a beautiful, adorned woman who wore many different adornments and made sure that all the people who went to the house passed by her. And he left her helpers and servants, at whose disposal was a supply for the wayfarers who were on their way to the king.

And he said to her and her helpers:

"To him who will dim his eyes and not look at you and let you distract him from me, but only ask you for provisions for the journey to come to me, serve and give the provisions, and do not hinder him from coming to me. On the contrary, help him as best you can to reach the goal of his journey.

But whoever looks at you and finds favour in you and prefers you to me and seeks to approach you, you shall punish him severely, humiliate him and make him his servant, so that he runs after you like an animal. And him that eateth of thee shalt thou deceive a little, and then thou shalt reclaim all, and take all from him, and leave him with nothing, and find his followers and his slaves upon him. And the more he loves you, and glorifies you, and honours you, the more you alienate him from yourself, humble and alienate him, so that he is broken and suffers because he cannot have you."

So think about this parable and the condition of those who seek this life and those who seek eternal life. And Allah is the One whom they ask for help. This parable is taken from tradition:

"The Almighty and Great Allah said:

"O this world! Serve him who serves Me and use those who serve you."

Uddat as-Sabirin, 3/393-394