Chapter 11: 📚Bonding in the Library 📚

*Ben's P.o.v*

After what happened in Miss Ella's class, I've been looking for Nevaeh. I already spoke to Carlos and apologized for Miss Ella's behavior. After lunch, I couldn't find Nevaeh, so I asked Lonnie if she'd seen her.

"How about you check the library?" She suggested with a smirk. I pretended to ignore the look she was giving me and started to make my way to the library. Once I got there, I began to look through the aisles in search of her. After a couple of minutes or so of looking, I found her sitting at a table by herself reading a book.

"Hey, Nevaeh," I said, coming up to her. She drops the book in surprise with a startled gasp.

"Oh! Ben, fancy seeing you here. Or, well, maybe not. Your mom is the queen of books after all." She said once she calmed down. I laughed a bit.

"Yeah, she is the bookworm in the family. What are you reading by the way?" I asked while taking a seat next to her.

"Romeo and Juliet. Not sure how I feel about it yet. On one hand, I can understand the forbidden love they share, but on the other hand, it feels like they're rushing into a relationship too fast." She explained.

"Yeah, that always stirred me the wrong way. And then the ending just makes me question if they were mentally sane." I replied.

"Hey! No spoilers!" She pouts while playfully shoving my shoulder. After pouting, a smile made its way onto her face.

'Wow, she has a pretty smile.' I thought.

"Um, thanks." She said while blushing.

'Shoot! I said that out loud!' I thought. I gave an awkward chuckle, already feeling my cheeks heat up. Silence settles between us for a bit before I cleared my throat.

"I was looking for you because I wanted to say sorry about Miss Ella." I said. She sighed.

"It's fine." She replied.

"I can talk to her if you want?" I offered.

"You can, but I don't think it'll do any good. Some minds cannot be swayed." She said. I frowned; she's right, even if I do address the problem to Miss Ella, who's to say she'll fix her actions?

"Yeah, you're right. How can I make it up to you guys on her behalf?" I asked.

"I'm not sure you can do much. Maybe conduct a speech to the staff, but it might not do any good." She said as she continued reading. I nodded my head in understanding, but the frown on my face was still there.

Once again silence filled the space between us, but it was a nice silence, yet that too didn't last because soon it was being filled with small sniffles coming from the beauty next to me.

"That was so sad, yet also kind of romantic." She wiped her eyes gently.

'She's too pretty to cry.' I thought.

"Most people call it a horrible ending." I said.

"Well, then I guess they don't understand the beauty of literature." She shrugged with a small smile.

The silence between us resumes once again and I couldn't help but enjoy basking in her presence until my curiosity got the best of me.

"So, on the Isle, what are classes like there?" I asked.

"Well, for starters, they aren't like the ones here that's for sure. Besides the reading and writing, most classes were about curses, making potions, dictatorship, that sort of thing." She replied.

"Oh, that-that doesn't sound very good." I frowned. I mentally rolled my eyes.

'Seriously, Ben? That's the best you could come up with?' I thought. She gave me a small smile and a shrug.

"You know, not many people wanted to talk to us VKs since we've arrived, but I'm glad you did. You're really nice, Ben. I like talking to you." She said, playing with her fingers absentmindedly while blushing.

'She's so cute when she blushes.' I thought, making sure I didn't say that out loud this time, or else I think I would've died from embarrassment.

"I feel the same way. I've always been treated differently because of my heritage, but you don't care about that." I looked at her.

"Maybe because you don't care about my heritage either." She smiled.