Chapter 25: 🏝Their Willow Tree🏝

*Nevaeh's P.o.v*

After I placed my books in my locker, I was about to head to my dorm or the library when a familiar voice rang, calling out to me.

"Nevaeh!" The voice said. I smiled to myself, knowing who the voice belonged to before turning around and addressing him.

"Hi Ben," I smiled. He approached me with a smirk on his face.

"Glad to see you're in one piece. Ma reine. Told you history wouldn't be that bad." He said. I laughed while nodding a bit.

"So, what's your next class?" He asked. I noticed he seemed a bit nervous, which piqued my interest.

"None, I have a free period." I replied.

"Really? I do as well. Would you like to hang out for a bit? That-that is, if you want, obviously I-I don't want to force you into anything. Well, not that I could, but I wouldn't-!" I cut him off with a stumbling laugh.

"I'd love to hangout. Got any places in mind?" I asked with a smile. He smiles and it sends butterflies in my stomach.

"There's this willow tree I go to when I need to clear my head. I'll show you." He said.

He then drapes his arm over my shoulders (and I don't mind) before leading the way. It wasn't long before we arrived and sat under the nice tree.

"How's everything going with you, by the way? Are you okay?" I asked softly after a few moments of silence.

He gave a sigh before running a hand through his hair. An action that I found incredibly hot.

"I feel like I'm suffocating and that nobody really understands where I'm coming from." He frowns.

I frowned before adjusting myself and then patting my lap. He laid his head in my lap as I ran my fingers through his hair, remembering how he mentioned how he liked it.

"I don't know if it's much, but I understand. You're only turning 16, not 45. You don't have to try to solve all of the world's problems in one week. Follow your heart and be your own king, not your father." I said softly with a small smile.

Something about this boy just brings out the softie in me that usually only family and close friends get to see.

"I know you do, ma reine. It's a-" He said while playing with my other hand. He pauses in his sentence, causing me to raise an eyebrow.

"It's what?" I asked. He shook his head lightly, a faint blush coating his cheeks.

"Nothing, nevermind." He said dismissively.

*End of p.o.v*

Nevaeh bit her bottom lip lightly, an action Ben found attractive as he mentally groaned.

"Being royal has so many privileges and access to things that people tend to forget the pressures and responsibilities that come with it. Especially for you, who's going to be king at 16." She said.

"Tell me about it. I mean, my dad was an adult before he became king and now he has my mom, who is beyond patient and wise. It's just.. How can I ever live up to him?" Ben growled as he threw his hands up in frustration.

Nevaeh frowned at seeing him like this.

"You've already passed living up to him, Ben. Instead of letting us stay over there to rot, you actually cared about and invited us over. You've surpassed the king that your father is. Despite what other people had to say about it, you still took a chance." Nevaeh said.

"Haha... yeah, I've been constantly told every minute of the day that my decision was a mistake. But I don't regret it, I mean, how could I? I look at you and I see the future of what Auradon could be. I just don't know if I can make it a reality." Ben said, the last part coming with a sigh.