XII

SWIPE AND HIT PLAY FOR MUSIC!

Gabby's POV
•€•
November 1st

A stroke?

How did this happen?

I was just speaking to my father yesterday morning and now he's in a hospital bed fighting for his life. I can hardly breathe.

"Just go ahead. I got it," Jordan said as I struggled to get my bag from the trunk of the Uber. I was so fidgety and he could tell.

He took both of our suitcases from the Uber and nodded at me, signaling for me to make my way into the airport.

After my mom called, I booked my flight for the next morning. Well...Jordan booked our flights. I was too overwhelmed to focus. I still am.

"Identification, please,"

Jordan reached for his wallet, pulling out his ID and handing it over to the woman. I struggled to find mine in my purse, being that I just threw everything in it in a hurry.

"Let me," Jordan said softly, holding onto my hand and taking my ID from the small pocket on the top corner of my coat, where I had put it before we left.

As we made our way through security, Jordan basically couched me like a small child. My mind was elsewhere. Oftentimes, my only thought was to focus on my breathing. If I had put my mind in something else, I would surely crumble.

"Can I get two waters, please," Jordan asked the air hostess. "Thank you," he said, opening mine and handing it to me, then opening his and taking a sip.

"Try to get some sleep on the flight," he turned to me, pulling my head towards his shoulder, where I closed my eyes and drifted off into a deep sleep. My mind was too jumbled and I didn't sleep all night but planes weren't my favorite things so I fell asleep.

Landing, Jordan already had a car ready for us. One question that did linger in my mind was how he was always so organized.

Jordan placed his hand on my thigh as it bounced up and down, almost uncontrollably. "Relax, we're almost there." But that's what scared me.

"Did you want to stop before we get there?" he turned to me and asked, his hand rubbing up and down my thigh.

"Mmm no. Just go straight there," I replied, looking out the window. The drive to the hospital felt like forever. I just wanted to be there already.

20 more minutes of mind breaking scenarios and and uncontrollable body shivers and we had finally arrived.

"I'm looking for Donald Mason," I said to the nurse at the front desk. She told me the room number and directed me to where I found my Mom and sister standing in the hall.

"Oh, baby! Come here," my mother said, pulling me into her arms. I held on tight because I didn't know what she would tell me next.

From the corner of my eye I could see my sister leaned against the wall, looking at the floor and biting the paint from her nails. Something we both did when we were nervous.

"Come here, Kaitlyn," I said, pulling my sister into our hug. I kissed her forehead and rubbed her back. Even though I needed someone right now, my first priority will always be my sister.

"How is he?" I asked hesitantly, scared to actually know the truth. Last night, my mom called told me that my dad had a stroke and was in the hospital. They had no information on him but I wasted no time to be here.