XXXIV

SWIPE AND HIT PLAY FOR MUSIC!

Jordan's POV
•€•
February 28th

My brain won't shut off. It's been running constantly. Funny because it's only slightly more than usual. Not funny because this shit is tiresome.

The moonlight shines through the room. The sun should be replacing it soon.

Either way, I have to get up and prepare myself. I move quickly. If I move slow it will give me time to think and possibly change my mind.

I'm ready...well just almost.

I turn the door softly on Gabby's room, walking in slowly at the sight of her resting peacefully. Her eyes flutter lightly between breaths.

I let out a breath and I rub her head gently. I kiss her temple and she hums softly.

"There isn't anything I wouldn't do to keep you safe," I whisper to her as she snuggles deeper into the pillow.

I speak truthfully because what I am about to do could cost me my life.

I need to go

"You sure about this, J?" Bryson asks, breaking the cars silence.

I stare out the window wondering how this will end but despite his attempts, Bryson can't get my mind off of it.

"I'm sure," I mumble my delayed response not because I'm not sure but because I need this to go as planned.

My mind runs back on my brother and all of the times he went out to do a job. You might think that he would have gotten use to it because of how long he'd been doing it but it took a toll on him everyday.

Sometimes I think it's better that he died so I don't  have to continue to see him whither away. I could see how much it pained him to go out and do the things he did but it was survival.

He especially hated the thought of him setting a bad example for me which is why he always told me that if I lived the same life he lived then he would be doing it for no reason.

Bryson pulls up in front of the building I met Jason at before. I'm really about to do this.

I look over at Bryson and nod my head before pulling the door open. I hear him take a deep breath and I do the same.

My eyes scan over the streets that my brother use to shelter me from. Now I'm doing something I promised him I'd never do.

I walk straight towards the building, following the instructions that were given to me.

Through the beaded curtains and stop before the last door. I inhale.

"I see it's not every day you break your word," Jason chuckles. He empties his shot glass in the back of his throat and smiles. I want nothing more than to knock that smirk off of his face.

"You ain't even gon greet me?" he asks and he raises his hand to wrap it around my shoulder. I back away. I'll let him keep this up for now.

"I'm here to get this shit done," I say in the calmest tone possible. His presence alone irritates my spirit.

"Alright," he chuckles. "Dave and Myles are going with you. I explained everything to you yesterday. You go in and meet with Mr.Stockwood, complete the asset trade and sign over the funds in my sons name.," he says.

Although it sounds legal and legit, none of this is. On top of that, Brent Stockwood is no one to play with. I'm playing with fire here.

It's a must though. I have to do this. For Gabby's safety.