XXV

SWIPE AND HIT PLAY FOR MUSIC!

Gabby's POV
•€•
December 24th

The trip started off rocky but I'm grateful at how much of a turn it has taken.

"Why are you in here?" my mother asks a I walk into the kitchen. I look behind me and then face her.

"Hello, mother," I say as I walk to the fridge to get more ice. I've broken myself out of the ice eating habit but I find myself doing it more and more often lately.

"Where's Jordan?" she asks and I look at her confused. It's always about him with her.

"He's outside," I state and she hums.

"Is he alright?" she asks and the more questions she's asks the more I'm confused.

"Why wouldn't he be alright?" I ask with a smile on my face.

"Did you ask him?" she asks and I'm beginning to regret walking in here.

"He's a big boy, Mama. If he wasn't alright he'd open his mouth," I say and she chuckles.

I make my way from the fridge and find a seat on the stool across from my mother. I love watching her cook. It's how I learned. Some of my most fondest memories were in the kitchen with her.

I look at Jordan from the back porch window and he looks so snug in his 500 layers. I reminisce on our conversations about growing up and learning how to make meals.

"You love him?" She asked catching me completely off guard. She doesn't even seem fazed by the question she just asked. No eye contact and no remorse.

Is she crazy?

"Mama, please. That's so random," I say, slightly embarrassed by how fidgety I've just become.

"You didn't answer," she says as she continues to stir the bread pudding mixture in the pan.

"Lord, have mercy," I chuckle as I put my face in my hands and shake my head. Where is this coming from?

"Alright, don't beat me off," she holds her hands up in surrender and I playfully roll my eyes. She isn't going to stop until she gets an answer out of me.

To be completely honest, I don't know the answer to that question.

I'm not being honest...I do know that answer but I'm not sure. I don't want to seem like I'm moving too fast. It's been 4 months.

"Oh my gosh," I say at her dramatics. I'm hoping she will change the subject. My nerves are beginning to fly all over the place but I'm trying my hardest not to give myself away.

"No because mi nuh waan nobody seh mi inna dem business so mek mi lock mi jaw," she says sarcastically.

What ah big ooman love ramp

"Say what you want to say," I say with my eyebrows knitted together.

"Baby, there's nothing in this world I want more than to see you happy. Nothing," she says genuinely and I know her intentions are always pure.

"I know," I reply.

"You know and you know that he's the one that makes you happy," she says and it's the truth. I begin to blush hard as I watch the side of his face through the window.

My family is out there doing the most embarrassing things and he's just watching in amusement. I'm happy he came. I would've missed being around him. His aura warms me.

"Look pon yuh damn face nuh mon. If current gone mi use it light up di house," she says snapping me out of my trance. She's right. He does make every part of me light up.