LXXXIV

THAT STAR ON THE BOTTOM OF EACH CHAPTER
Gabby's POV
•€•
August 13th

Sasha has been cracking me up for the past hour. I don't know how she has all this energy so early in the morning.

Evidently, Justice finds it funny too. She's his new favorite person.

I wouldn't call myself jealous but he's mighty comfortable with choosing to be held by someone he just met over the person who carried him for 7 months.

"Nuh body naw gi yuh nuh joke," she jokes while tickling his tummy. He rolls over in the bed and laughs uncontrollably.

"I swear everytime I come here, you redecorate this room," I say admiring her white, black and gold decor.

It's actually very nice.

"Jus, ask yuh mada if this is her room," she says smiling at Justice who smiles back. I roll my eyes at them both.

Traitor.

A knock comes from the door and we all face it.

"Come nuh," Sasha shouts. The door turns and Jordan appears shyly.

"Good morning," he smiles. Justice smiles the way he always does when he sees his father for the first time in the morning.

"Good morning, Baby," I smile and he opens the door wider. Justice reaches for him and he enters and grabs him.

"Good morning, good mannas," Sasha teases and we all laugh. His mannerisms aren't always this sharp but he has this thing with wanting to make a good impression on my family.

It's important to him.

I respect him for it.

"Breakfast is ready," he says and Sasha and I jump as if we were told Dexta Daps was in the kitchen.

I peck Jordan's lips as I pass him on my way out. Sasha pretends to gag in return.

"Ah food mi ago nyam now enuh. Unnu stop unnu nastiness," she says walking out. We both laugh and follow behind her.

"That word doesn't sound good. The word is eat. Have some class," I joke as we enter the kitchen. I kiss granny on her cheek and she fans me off.

"I don't want any kisses for any of you. Unnu come when food done cook and as unnu eat unnu gone. Watch di joke," she says throwing the towel over her shoulder.

Jordan laughs and I eye him.

"You don't laugh because you were sleeping the entire time," I say.

"Mmm mmm. Look how long him in here ah help mi. What ah wukless set ah grand pitney," she says shaking her head.

I can't help but laugh.

I look over and the on the stove sits a pot of steam callaloo and a pot of ackee and saltfish. A basket of fried dumplings and ripe plantain sits off to the side.

I'm slowly losing my senses by the smell alone.

"Jordan can't even boil water. He didn't make that," I say and the look he gives me is deadly.

"I'll take that ring back. Keep playing," he says handing a plantain to Justice who recently started solids.

I hope he knows that isn't funny.

Sasha starts laughing and I roll my eyes at them both.

"But granny how yuh neva mek mi come inna di kitchen when ya cook," Sasha reminds her. Same with me.