LVIII

SWIPE AND HIT PLAY FOR MUSIC!

Maya's  POV
•€•
July 1st

Bryson has been driving for hours. And for the same amount of time, I've been asking him why we left Jordan back there. But he just continues to ignore me.

And I haven't asked any other question. Not yet.

Another 30 minutes pass and I've just been watching him drive. He looks so angry. Not going to lie, I was so pleased when I saw him walk through that door.
He was the last person I expected to see but the first person I wanted to see.

Other than...

Let me just ask him.

"Is what he said true? Is Gabby..."

He looks at me with the most sympathetic look and holds my hand. I think he's bracing me for what he's about to say.

"No. Gabby is okay. Jordan put her on a jet to New York. Same thing I'm about to do with you," he says. I sigh in relief.

I don't know what I would've done if the answer were different.

"I'm still confused. He killed Jordan's brother? I thought he didn't know the person who did it," I say trying to gain some insight. Nothing makes sense.

"Maya," he takes a deep breath.

"That is the same guy who was threatening Jordan and Gabby a couple of months ago. The one who shot her,"

"The dead guy?"

"That's what he made everyone believe but he wasn't. He was laying low just for this," he says,

"To use me? Because I'm that easy of a target. I'm so fucking stupid. He's been playing around with me for months," I sniffle.

"It's not your fault, My. You couldn't have known," he says but I can't help but feel sick to my stomach.

All this time...

"Although, this seems smaller than what I anticipated," he adds.

"Smaller? I was with this man for months. He kidnapped me and I thought-" he takes my hand again.

"That's not what I mean, Maya. You know I was worried sick," he says. Luckily, we reach our destination as soon as he finishes his sentence. He pulls up and hops out before opening my door.

He takes me by my hand and pulls me into his arms.

"I'm so glad you're alright, okay? You know how much you mean to me," he tells me. I bury my head in his chest.

"I'm sorry," I tell him. I don't know why I was so stubborn about this before. All Bryson has ever done was care about me and I continued to push him away.

For that very reason, I'm in the predicament I'm in right now.

I've been running from him because I couldn't handle the feeling he gives me. I'm too comfortable with being hurt and betrayed.

"What are you apologizing for?"

"I'm apologizing for how I've treated you. Especially when you don't have to do the things you do," I say holding onto him. He pulls back and holds my face.

"I don't have to but I want to. I want to because I love you," he says.

I'm surprised but not at the same time. I feel the same way. For a long time now.

"I love you too," I tell him.

He kisses me. It's deep and passionate and for the first time, that feeling that I was so afraid of is one that I want to embrace. I don't want to keep running from him.