XXXVI

SWIPE AND HIT PLAY FOR MUSIC!

Jordan's POV
•€•
February 29th

My mind is far from here. Far from this interrogation room. Far from these questions.

"Mr.Palmer, are you following?" the detective asks. I remain silent. I need to get back to her.

The sounds of the hospital machines echo in my ear as the images of her laying there taint my brain. She needs me and I'm so far away.

"We have been trying to get our hands on these guys for some years now and you were able to help us dig deeper into them," the detective continues.

Although I've only answered a few questions, I've gained a lot of insight on what was really going on. What I was really up against and who he really was.

"When are you going to get me out of these handcuffs," I blow out. They look at each other with the fakest grins.

"The building was set on fire and the bodies found can not be identified," he says, suggesting that I had something to do with that. I didn't.

My focus had shifted.

"I left with the ambulance after he put a fucking bullet in my girlfriend. I don't know shit about a fire," I huff. They nod, rephrasing my words onto their notepads.

"Gabriella Mason, correct?" the woman asks and I tense up, the pressure from the cuffs getting stronger against my wrist.

"Don't," I whisper loudly. They have no right.

"I'm sorry about what happened," the woman says. I chuckle but I find nothing amusing.

"If you were sorry, I'd been in the hospital right now. You dragged me out of there while she was fucking dy-" I clench my jaw and look away, feeling the burning tears come down my face.

"I just want to get this straight...you teamed with Brent Stockwood to transfer the funds and expose the shipment deals?" he asks. I've already explained this.

"I'm just asking because it's hard to believe. I thought there was some street code thing that stopped you guys from doing that," he chuckles.

You guys? He needs to alter his vocabulary.

The black woman detective clears her throat and closes her notepad.

"You're free to go," she says. The male goes to say something but she stops him. The handcuffs are removed and I waste not another second in there.

I want to get to her as soon as possible but I'm not sure I'm ready to face reality. I head to the cemetery before anything.

I get to my brothers grave and automatically drop to my knees. I blow out all the air in my system. My chest feels so congested.

"I already told you that I couldn't lose anyone else," I mumble, my eyes squeezed shut as the images of Gabby in that room flash in my head, taking over my mind.

"She's gone, man. She's gone," I cry. The pain in my heart is unmatched. I don't want to believe it but I do. I've never felt a pain like this before.

"God, why," I scream.

"I need her."

I kneel there for moment, my face in my hands until I look up at the grave. "I need you to take care of her," I whisper.

Her laugh sings through my ears...her smile in my mind. I can almost hear her call my name.

My phone rings and the image of her clears from my mind.