XLVII

SWIPE AND HIT PLAY FOR MUSIC!

Maya's POV
•€•
April 18th

She's been silent the whole ride to my house. I hope I'm not pushing her too much but I just can't help myself.

How can I just leave this alone?

I've left this alone for far too long. Look at what it had to come to.

We exit the car and I lead her into my house. She looks so scared. I don't think that she's scared that I'll hurt her but she's definitely scared of being here.

Probably in deep thought about what she'll have to encounter when she gets home. Which is the equivalent of nothing.

She doesn't have to worry. I'm mindful of how this might play out and I have no intentions of allowing Jade to be hurt any longer.

"This is where you will sleep. The sheets are new and you'll have everything you need in the bathroom," I say.

I'm lucky my smart locks got fixed this morning and I was able to tidy up after Bryson left. Of course he offered to stay with me when I told him.

I would've stayed with Gabby but her circumstances are different now. So Bryson it was.

"You can wear these," I say handing her a stack of new night wear. She's still trembling and visibly scared.

This is becoming more frustrating to watch. If it was up to me, I'd be over there already,

But Jade's safety comes first.

"Look...everything is going to be fine, okay?" I got you," I repeat for the twentieth time. She nods.

Ugh.

"I just don't want to piss her off more than I already have," she mumbles with her eyes to the floor.

I put my hand in her shoulder and her eyes shift to mine. I see something so familiar in them.

I just don't know what.

"You still haven't told me what you did, Sweets. I don't know how to help you if I don't know the whole story," I say.

She pulls away and takes the place on the edge of the bed. I sigh deeply before doing the same.

"I just did something that I knew would make her upset. I knew better and I did it anyways," she says and a million things come to mind.

I hope she's not pr-

No way. She's just a baby. Either way, she's her mother. She should want to help her.

"I promise I didn't mean to. I was just scared," she buries her head into my chest. My heart immediately begins to ache.

"Baby, at least tell me what scared you," I plead softly.

She shakes her head.

Seeing her like this tugs at my heart. She looks at me with the most pleading eyes. I take a moment to assess them.

Whatever it is, is crushing her poor heart. The pain is recognizable.

As someone who never knew their father and had a mother who couldn't care less about what happened to her, I remember being so lost and in so much pain at her age.

Now that I think about it, Jade and I aren't that far in age. She's still a kid though.

A kid that's trembling just at the thought of what her mother might do to her. And even though she admits it's because of something she did, unless this baby killed someone, she shouldn't be hurt like this.