XLIX

SWIPE AND HIT PLAY FOR MUSIC!

Maya's POV
•€•
April 28th

The documents I have found so far have showed that Jade's stepfather has bondings with an alarming amount of powerful people.

A few judges...senators and a some a few members of the executive branch.

Based on these, he's untouchable.

I vowed to myself that I wouldn't allow him to intimidate me but the situation is getter more perplexed as time passes.

I sigh. This is not how I want to spend my evening.

But I feel so compelled to help her.

My bell rings and I move quickly from my office to get the door. I'm only expecting one person. I open it and Gabby walks in and hugs me.

"Hey, you good?" I ask and she nods.

"Fine. You ok?" she asks and I nod.

Good thing we're best friends and both know our answers aren't close to true but take a mental note to really talk after we figure this out.

"I bought food and wine. I'll stay here as long as I need to. All night included," she says.

"Yayy. We haven't had a sleep over in a minute," I say. I only have one person to blame.

She sees the look on my face and giggles.

"You sure you're man won't cry himself to sleep tonight," I tease and she laughs. Jordan can't go a second without her.

She's no better. It's an obsession.

"Not too much now," she jokes.

I make haste to open the wine while Gabby uses the bathroom. I get a text and uncork the bottle before answering.

Jordan🤢

Make sure your friend eats please. Drug her if you have to.

Lol you got it Dude

Two big kids...

I chuckle at the message and Gabby comes out with her hoodie in her hands. I want to ask her how she's doing but I just feel she'll come to me on her own.

I know how she is when it comes to speaking on things like this.

I don't want to push her.

"Do you have something to say?" She asks.

"No," I say confused.

"Then stop staring," she says and I roll my eyes. She's so annoying.

"Actually, your care taker said to make sure you eat and I don't want a target on my back so come sit," I say motioning to the island. She complies and takes a seat on the stool while I plate what looks like...

"You made curry chicken, Gabby?" I'm surprised.

She usually stays away from preparing any Jamaican dishes. She feels she never does them any justice.

"Jordan, did. You know I'd never," she says.

Wow.

"Yeah, I don't even care if you don't eat anymore because I don't mind having extra," I joke and she laughs.

"Give me my food," she says feigning anger.

I hand her a plate and she digs right in. As do I. We have work to do but I really missed just having days like those with my friend.