Chapter 3

I sat down between Blaise and Draco at the breakfast table, holding my timetable in my hands. My head was pounding from the tears I had shed to Draco the night before, but I had cut them off almost as quickly as they had started and reassured him that everything would be fine and that I was being over dramatic. He was reluctant to believe me, but even when it came to me, he was horrendous at being comforting towards tears. Being soft and cuddly wasn't in his nature if it had to be forced. He could only manage it if he did it subconsciously.

I skimmed across the sheet of parchment quickly before Blaise ripped it from my hands harshly. I gave him the side eye, but I was way too tired to actually pick a verbal fight. I let my annoyed expression do all of my talking for me.

"Good morning, gorgeous." He chirped, flashing me a smile. "Cheer up for me, we've got a bright day full of classes ahead of us and it will be even less tolerable if I don't get to see your pretty smile. Let's see what you've got here." Draco shot Blaise a warning look before he took another bite of the bacon off of his plate. "Oh, relax! You can't expect me to not compliment the girl! She's my friend, too! Just because you had her first. Of course you did! You were raised with her, the rest of us didn't even stand a chance." Blaise mocked him, causing me to finally giggle as I listened. "I'm just stating the obvious, like most of the boys have been doing all morning. She looks gorgeous today." Blaise told Draco as he playfully rubbed shoulders with me.

"Well, none of those other boys were spending their free time cuddling her in their beds last night, were they?" Draco snapped back at our friend defensively. My cheeks started to flush into a warm shade of pink as I bit my lip and widened my eyes from the sudden outburst. Christ, I love him.

Blaise knew almost everything about Draco and I. Almost. He'd gotten used to the cuddling when Draco would drag me into their room almost every night in our first year when he missed his mummy and I had to hug him until he'd fall asleep. Most people had stuffies or blankets as their childhood comfort object. Draco and I had each other. Comical.

"Yeah, you're luckier than me there." Blaise sighed as he winked at me. "I am quite offended, however. I'm also your best friend. Why doesn't our relationship description include any cuddling? Is it because I don't have breasts? Don't you think that maybe I ever feel lonely. Maybe I want a little snog from you every once in awhile," Blaise told Draco as he pretended to be offended.

"We don't snog!" Draco and I both blurted out at the same time. Blaise shot us a look of amusement as our brains acted like they were linked as one.

"Sure you don't. All best friends touch each other the way you two do." Blaise teased as he continued reading my class schedule and drinking his pumpkin juice. "I mean, get a load of Potter and Granger for example," he nodded his head towards the Gryffindor table where the two sat directly across from us. "They hardly ever hug one another, and you two can barely stay five feet apart. I don't get any physical affections from Emelia, and truth be told, I'm right on your tail in the best friend department. You two just don't have me convinced." He laughed with his eyes still on the parchment. "We have everything together, love." He said casually as he handed the paper back to me and changed the subject.

"First, don't call her that ever again. Second, I would like to think that it's very obvious why Emmy and I favor each other so much. Finally, don't try anything funny and attempt to take my seats for class, Zabini. You know the rule." Draco seethed as he picked up the parchment from my hands now. He drank his orange juice while he skimmed it over to feel just as important in the situation.

Ahh, yes. The golden rule in Draco's manual to being one of his best friends:

"Never, under any circumstances, ever think that you get to steal Prince from me. My father will be sure to put you in your place when he hears that you wanted to take my best friend." Draco lectured the three boys that we had just met on the train while he held my small hand in his.