Chapter 45

But sometimes dreams fall short, and the true realities linger back into existence. And I realized very quickly that I was still stuck in mine.

"Well, things haven't been too awful in the last few weeks." Draco continued talking to me about his days at my manor while I sat draped across his lap in the kitchen chair.

He took another large bite of his sandwich that was on a plate in front of him and kept his opposite arm around my lower back, his hand cupping my hip perfectly— like it was always meant to do.

"I think residing in your room is what has helped me the most, honestly." He said while he continued to chew. His words were muffled slightly from his full mouth, and I couldn't help but smile at him foolishly. "It feels like home because I've spent so much of my life there with you." He said casually. I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear and watched him intensely like he would disappear if I blinked.

"Does it really still feel like my home? Or have they ruined all of it?" I asked him, and he shook his head while he drank some of the juice from his glass.

"It still feels like your home. And surprisingly, it all looks the same. Smells the same, too. Its comforting at some times, but it's just darker." He promised me while I leaned against his arm that held me and listened. I shut my eyes softly and waited for him to continue.

"The good thing is that they stopped messing with me, and I'm mentally stronger than the last time so my feelings for you flooded back in almost right away. Only a few days after my last treatment this time, and not months." He explained so carelessly. I laid my head down against his shoulder and let out a sigh while his fingers moved their way into a dip in my hip bone.

"Don't go again, Drake. I don't want you to go." I whispered, making him chuckle. I felt the sound rumbling deep in his chest against my shoulder. I fluttered my eyes open to keep myself from getting too comfortable in this position.

"If it were up to me, you know what I'd do." He said so hopelessly, a small sense of humor in his words. I'm glad he sees something funny in all of this mess, even if I possibly couldn't. Maybe it helps keep him sane.

"I feel bad that your mother is stuck here with me. I wish I could go do something. Give her a bit of a break." I grumbled. He grabbed my chin with his hand and pulled my face off of his shoulder so he could see me.

His hand brushed my stray hairs away from my eyes and his eyes lingered on my freckled skin for a moment. His index finger brushed itself against the small indentation left across my forehead from the first time I had met the Dark Lord— a mark that would never go away.

He had a funny way of doing that. Leaving his marks on those I loved. A mark that would surely stay for too long. Forever.

"Don't." He shook his head, his eyes pleading mine to just listen to him. "Please don't go anywhere, love." He whispered, trailing his finger down my temple and towards by lips.

I was stubborn, but I couldn't go against him nowadays. I couldn't afford to ignore Draco or his warnings. I didn't know what dangers lingered outside these walls.

But he does.

"Mother was stuck here for years with my father. She hardly left the manor to begin with because the elves have run our errands for as long as I can remember. And you're her kid just as much as I am, you know that." He said softly while his thumb rubbed small circles against the skin of my cheek. "She wants to stay with you and keep you safe. She doesn't want them finding your mother. She doesn't want them to hurt you because of my duties. She can keep you safe here and take care of you. It gives her some peace of mind." He reassured me. I snickered once before I leaned my nose against his.