Chapter 46

"We're gonna go away from here for a while. I think it would be best to get you somewhere that you can take your mind off of this." Narcissa explained as she held me tightly. "You can't keep trying to run away, Emelia. I don't care if you know he's right across the street, I won't keep putting up with it." She shook her head as she continued pulling me away from the front door.

"How can you just let him go?! He was dragged away from us over a week ago, and you haven't tried anything to get him back!" I shouted, my neck tightening as I used every muscle to scream at her. She let out a long breath and closed her eyes to keep her cool.

"Emelia Jane. I mean it." She scolded me. "I am not letting him go and you know that. He is going to be fine. He may be my boy, and I worry about him every day, but I have no control over him anymore. You on the other hand, I do have control of, and you need to stop." She continued lecturing me as she pulled me into the living room and locked the door behind us.

She stared down at me disappointedly before her eyes traveled towards the couch. "Sit."

I did as she asked and let out an annoyed groan as I did.

"No. No attitudes with me. I mean it, Emmy. I'm getting really sick of this behavior." She explained, standing in front of me with her arms crossed while I looked up at her from the couch.

"You know that I'm sorry about your mother. She is my best friend, and it hurts me like no other to imagine what's happening in that situation. I'm sorry for what Lucius did to your father. And I know that Draco being away is hurting you, but it hurts me, too." She started to ramble.

"But you don't know what it feels like! You don't love him the way I do!"

"You're right, and I won't ever love either of you the way you love each other. But I am his mother and no one will ever love him the way I do." She told me, making me bite back my words that I wanted to shout at her.

"I love you, Emelia. I love you so much. I have raised you, I have watched you grow, and I'm not afraid to punish you. Do you know what makes me feel a little bit better about Draco being gone? Because I know he can handle it. And I still have one of my babies at home with me." She explained, her voice so tired and trying. "Imagine if it was you. How on Earth do you think you'd manage? Because I'd say that Draco seems more than capable out of either of you."

"Cissy, I don't want anyone else to get hurt." I sobbed, wrapping my arms around my stomach and losing the tough exterior I was putting up. "I don't want him to die." I shook my head.

"Now, do not think like that." She instructed me as she sat next to me. I practically crawled into her lap, feeling her arms embrace me. "He is not going to die. That will never happen."

"But you don't know that!"

"I do." She cooed, rubbing the top of my head as I cried on her shoulder. "I do know it. He's strong, stubborn, and can take care of himself. He's going to make it out."

"I'm scared." I cried. "I just want Draco back."

"You'll get him back, pumpkin. He's going to come back for you. It's Draco— and if there is one thing in this world he loves more than anything, it's you." She whispered, rocking me gently in her arms. A silence draped itself over us for a moment before she spoke up.

"You know, when you were first born, we stuck you inside of his crib so you two could meet for the first time. You were sound asleep, but his little sparkling eyes never left your face for a minute." She chuckled, reminiscent of the old times. "He was hypnotized. He watched you like he did every day after that. Like he loved you, and would protect you, and like you were the best thing he had ever seen— even if he had only been around for a little over a week. I never believed in soulmates until that moment." She shook her head against mine as I laid against her.