Chapter 41

"If you ever go near her again, I will cut your head off and put it on a stick." Draco seethed as he held Theodore against the wall of the empty corridor. "You hear that, Nott?" He spat, shoving him against the wall again while he held a blade against Theo's throat.

Blood trickled from the spot of pressure on his neck, surely leaving behind a scratch right beside the boy's throat.

Theo nodded his head slowly while his eyes barely held themselves open, blood dripping from his nose and his eyes already bruising from the beating Draco had given him. I could tell he couldn't breathe, just like I couldn't as I watched.

One of my books slipped from my clammy hands while I tried taking a step back, crashing to the floor with a loud thud. Both of the boys turned in my direction, Draco's locked jaw unclenching and his dark eyes dropping.

"Emmy," he whispered cautiously, but I was still backing away out of fear of the person I was watching him turn into.

He held onto Theo tightly while the wand in his hand transfigured back into its original form, the knife on the end of it disappearing. Theo took a gasp of fresh air when Draco's arm dropped from his neck.

"Emelia. Just wait right there for me." Draco said softly, trying to get me to calm down.

His knuckles were bruised and bloody. Sweat ran across his forehead. He had a crazy look in his eyes as he begged me to let him explain.

"I-" I whispered, my eyes prickling with tears and my breathing still caught in my throat. "I have to go." I panted, picking up my book and trying to escape, but Draco's hands were on my face and he was already kneeled in front of me.

"Please, don't touch me." I squeezed my eyes shut as I held still in front of him. I had heard Theo fall to the floor as he tried to manage his labored breathing.

"Emmy," Draco whispered, sounding so hurt as I leaned away from him. "I'm not going to hurt you." He tried to convince me.

"I don't care, I don't want to be anywhere near you."

"He got you some nice gifts for the holidays," Blaise said casually while we played each other in a game of chess in the common room. I nodded my head stiffly, not feeling up for these games today.

The boys had been trying for the last 2 weeks to get me to forgive Draco. Theo avoided me at all costs out of fear that he would be strangled to death. Draco even had Pansy, Becky, Cassie, and Ella in on his ploys, paying them almost every single day to leave me collections of flowers and sweets on my bed and desk from him, but I just kept avoiding him.

"Can we at least talk about it, Emmy?" Blaise asked quietly, making his next move on the board. "You two don't fight like this, and I don't think it's healthy that you two get cut off from each other cold Turkey." He tried joking, but only his laughter followed his jokes. I shrugged my shoulders carelessly and kept my mouth shut.

"Are you mad at him?" He pestered me some more. Shrug.

"He was just doing what he thought he needed to do to protect you from another boy, he wasn't thinking clearly. He has a horrible temper and he's territorial, you know how it goes." Sigh.

"Did you get him something for Christmas?" Nod. "A lot of things, or a few things?" He continued asking his annoying questions.

"A lot." I mumbled, the words coming out as more of a breath.

"Well, that's good. Means we're heading in the right direction." Shrug.

"Emelia, you knew what you were signing up for when you learned all about this and you chose not to leave him. You can't just shut him out now, you didn't even witness him do anything bad." Blaise said, and my eyes finally looked up at his from the game board.