Chapter 50

I held the pillow over my head for the fifth night in a row. Draco and I had hardly spoken more than 3 words to one another since our little... hook up, the other night in my bedroom.

He didn't ever sleep peacefully in the room next to mine— and nor could I as I listened to him scream and cry almost every single night since his first one back here. I held my ears tightly and tried to ignore the noise he was making just as I always had, but without sleeping in days, I had finally grown so agitated that all I wanted to do was confront him and see what was wrong.

Just let him be. It'll stop. It always stops.

The manor grew quiet, and the clock ticked on. I closed my eyes carefully and was so tired that I could hardly remember more than the 10 seconds it took me to fall back asleep.

Until I jolted up and glanced at the clock, where another 2 hours of sleep had come and gone and Draco was screaming once more. I kicked the sheets off of my legs and sprinted to the door, yanking it open and running down the hallway to his room. I pulled the door open and stepped inside, watching as he gripped his hair in his hands and sat back against his headboard, panting and crying, shaking his head to make it go away.

"Draco, what's wrong?" I asked him softly, quickly making my way to his bed and reaching out towards him.

"No! Don't!" He screamed, scooting away from me and looking at me anxiously. "Don't touch me." He whimpered, his lower lip turning into a pout and his head shaking back and forth to warn me.

"Draco, I can help you." I whispered, climbing on to the top of his bed. "Just let me help you." I told him softly, keeping my distance from him and looking at him as he tried his hardest to catch his breath. His sweaty forehead glistened in the moon light that peaked through the curtains curiously.

"I don't want your help!" He shouted. "Don't you understand?!" He asked me feverishly. "I'll hurt you. I can't be near you— I'll hurt you. I want to hurt you." He cried, making my forehead crinkle and my lips pry slightly. "They're going to hurt me. You're going to hurt me. I don't want to do the tests anymore." He let out a sob while his body started to shake. He doesn't know he's out of the dream.

"Draco." I whispered, slowly scooting closer to him. "It's okay." I said softly, moving my hand out towards him slowly to gain his trust. "There's no tests. There's no treatments. Just let me make it better." I whispered. I waited for him to reject my touch, but he let my fingers land on his forearm and he let out a sigh of relief.

"You're real." He whispered under his breath while his eyes fell shut as his back fell back against the headboard of his bed. I pulled him towards me cautiously, watching as he scooted his body closer and laid back down on his pillow.

"I think you're exhausted. You don't sleep very much, do you?" I asked, wiping the sweat from his face, and brushing his hair back as I sat next to his head at the top of the bed. He shook his head and remained facing the other way, his breathing slowing down as he let me help him relax.

"You should let me help you. It's what I'm here for." I whispered, scooting closer to his damp back and placing both of my hands on the back of his neck, rubbing his muscles softly to try and get them to loosen.

"I don't want you to have to help me. I don't want you to care for me." He whispered, his eyes still fixed across the room at the windows.

"I know you don't care for me, but I will always care for you." I assured him. "You know, you are the one who always said Malfoy's don't care, they're cared for." I teased him, dropping my voice a few octaves to mimic how his voice sounded. "You can accept my help and I won't expect anything else in return. I just can't stand watching and listening to you go through this every night." I sighed, my fingers fiddling with the edges of his t-shirt that had collected so much sweat I didn't understand how he could take it. "Why don't you take this off, sweetheart? It'll make you feel better if you aren't as hot." I whispered, reaching down his back and pulling the shirt up over his head— which he never even argued with me not to do.