Chapter 30

"Well, don't you look lovely." Theodore complimented me as I opened the door to my manor. "Hi, baby," he smiled, leaning into the door and planting a kiss on my blushing cheek.

I felt a smile wash over my face as I thanked him and straightened out my long, burnt orange dress. However, his confidence left quickly when my father approached us.

"Ahhh, Mr. Nott." He said cooly. "Emmy told me we'd be expecting you. I take it you will be escorting her next door this evening." He said to the boy, making him turn into a flustered mess.

"Yes," he said timidly, readjusting his white bow tie as he still stood outside on the front stoop and straightened his shoulders. "Um, I know we've only met a few times, but you can call me Theodore, sir." He said softly, his eyes still wide from fear. "Theo, for short if you'd prefer." He stuttered, holding his hand out towards my father.

My dad took his hand willingly, giving it a firm shake with a huge grin. He chuckled lowly at Theo's behavior, making the boy blush a deep crimson shade.

"Theo, I have heard great things about you from your father. I expect you will do even better things for us in the future." My father nodded, making Theo's lips curl up as he gave a nod.

"I hope so." He assured him. "I'm honored to hear you say that, especially coming from someone so highly respected." He nodded again, dropping my father's hand and crossing his own behind his back.

"I like him, he's polite." My father muttered to me, as if Theo wasn't standing just a few inches from us and could hear every word. "Well, you two should be on your way. I'm still waiting on the Mrs., but I believe the gathering will be starting shortly. Important matters are intended to be discussed so you should arrive on time." My father stated, turning his eye sight to the Malfoy's right across the street.

"Yes, of course. We'll see you there, sir." Theo nodded, holding his hand out for me to take. I did so willingly and bid my father goodbye before he shut the front door behind the two of us.

"Did I do okay? I was so nervous. I've never had to introduce myself to a girl's parent. I've never even had a girlfriend. I've only ever done hookups." Theo panted, braiding our arms together and leading me down the driveway.

"You did a wonderful job. If you just act how you always do, they'll love you just as much as I do." I chuckled, before Theo halted in his tracks. I turned to look at him out of confusion while his eyes looked as though they were popping out of his head and his mouth hung open.

"What?" I asked, stepping back towards him.

"N-nothing." He stuttered, putting his smile back on his lips. "Let's get going, my dear. Your father was right. Important stuff lies ahead." He said, walking us forward once again.

"So," I started, "what's this ball for exactly?" I asked. "You know how I am with the Malfoy's, and they've never had a random ball in the spring. I've attended every one they've ever had." I chuckled, looking up at the manor as we walked through the steel gates.

"Business." Theo said lowly, making my face fall slightly. It didn't take much more of an explanation for me to understand, and I grew tired of Theo's bluntness about the situation.

"Draco told me." I blurted out, making Theo's tense body relax slightly as he caught on. "About the marks. Your plans. What my father was just discussing." I told him, turning to look at him with a reassuring smile. "It's okay. Unlike Draco, you don't make me feel scared about all of this." I chuckled, interlocking our fingers and stepping up the front steps.

"Draco and I are different. He uh-"

"Welcome!" Narcissa chirped as she pulled the door open and cut his statement off. "My sweet Emmy, always looking lovely." She smiled, planting a kiss on my cheek.