Chapter 36

*Mature Content Warning*

"How mad are you?" Draco asked timidly as he shut his bedroom door when the long night had finally ended. He scrunched up his face to show his sorrows, but I just scoffed once as I slipped my dress off and let it lay across the floor.

"About which thing?!" I yelled at him, resulting in an annoyed sigh to leave his lips when he realized I wasn't happy. "Oh, hang on! Let's see!" I held up my fingers to count. "You starting a fight with Theodore? You trapping me into a marriage with you? You-"

"You don't want to be with me?" He asked softly, cutting me off. His head shook slowly with the question, trying to wrap his brain around what I had said.

"I do want to be with you, but that isn't the point!" I yelled, waving my hands frantically as I felt all of my muscles tense up in anger.

"Then why would you say that I trapped you into this if that's not how you feel?" He asked me, hurt filling his words as he kicked off his dress shoes by the door. "Emmy, I genuinely love you. I thought that out of any of the boys out there, you'd want me to be the one to pick you..." His words trailed off, making my body ache with sadness as I heard how they sounded. I couldn't control the stinging feeling of tears forming behind my eyes before they finally streamed themselves down my cheeks.

"I did want it to be you, Drake! I've always wanted it to be you!" I cried. I felt so broken in this moment, not knowing how to get my feelings across to him. "But not out of spite! Not for you to rub it in Theodore's face that you won this stupid competition of who I love more! Not for you to prove that you're so much better than those other boys down there!" I shouted at him, bringing my hands up to my head as I took a deep breath and pulled my hair slightly.

"We haven't even discussed this! Any of it! We weren't even official! I didn't want an engagement to you to just be some part of your big production today! I wanted you to pick me one day because it felt like it was the only thing you wanted in this world! Because you couldn't stand the idea of being with anyone else— Of me being with anyone else! You did it for the wrong reasons and I'm pissed!" I sobbed, sitting on the edge of his bed in defeat.

"Emelia," his voice came out more hurt than I thought it would. "Put the bickering with Nott aside— if I didn't take my chance of selecting you to be by my side, you know someone else would've done it soon. We're all turning 16." He sighed as he crouched down in front of me, leveling our faces. "Or is that part of the problem? That you wanted someone else to do it. Did you want Nott to be the one you were bound to? Was I just your rebound this summer?" He asked me, fiddling with my fingers in my lap.

"At one point, I did. Back when I thought you'd rather die than be with me." I cried, watching his movements carefully. "You aren't my rebound, you have never been my rebound. I want you. I want you so badly— just like I always have. You're a piece of me." I sobbed, my words all fumbling out of my mouth before I could even process them.

His thumb twirled the rings that he had given me around on my fingers while he listened. It felt like that memory was a lifetime ago. I glanced at the silver band that hugged his thumb and felt my breathing start to even out while I read the engraved letters.

D & E forever

"I'm sorry for what I did today, Emmy." He apologized softly, his voice sounding regretful as it traveled to my ears. "Please, don't cry." He begged, looking up at my eyes. "I hate when you cry, it always makes my stomach hurt when I hear it. I'm convinced it's because you did it so much when we were little that now I repulse it. And I hate when I make you cry because I was being a dick to you and not because I just thought it'd be funny to mess with you. I'm supposed to make you feel better, not worse." He chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.