Chapter 44

*Mature Content Warning*

I've talked before about the 5 stages of grief and how I had discovered a 6th one. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance, and revenge.

In the loneliness of Draco's room with only a small book of his words to keep me company, I've had time to come up with a 7th stage of grief.

Regrets

——
5 years prior

"Drake! You told me I could go with you when you were spying on them!" I whined, making him shoot me a challenging look. He was creeping his way towards the common room exit, insisting that Harry Potter was releasing a dragon out of the highest tower tonight.

"I don't want you involved in stuff like this. He's going to get in trouble, and you don't need to be there." He whispered-shouted back to me, trying to keep his voice down, but I only inched my way closer.

"I don't care! I'm going, too." I said shortly, crossing my arms over my chest. "And there's nothing you can do to stop me!" I argued. He gave me a devious grin and held up his wand.

"I can leg-lock you right now," he chuckled, flicking his wrist like he was going to send a spell at me. I furrowed my brows and snatched his wand out of his hand.

"I'm not Longbottom! You can't use your magic on me, I won't allow it!" I told him harshly, resulting in him shushing me just as loudly. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards him, throwing his opposite palm against my mouth.

"Emmy, zip it!" He seethed in a quiet voice. "You're just as loud as you are stubborn!" He scolded me. I ripped his hand from my mouth and narrowed my eyes.

"Pretty please take me with you," I asked of him quietly. "I like when we go on adventures together. You always take those bimbos Crabbe and Goyle anymore." I said in a sad voice. He scoffed and interlocked our fingers together.

"You like those bimbos. They're your friends, too." He whispered, pulling me towards the exit with him.

"Yeah, but not when they steal you away all the time. Seriously, all that talk about them taking me from you, and instead they take you from me." I pouted. "S'not fair."

"I don't know professor, Draco told me there would be a dragon-"

"There is a dragon and it's escaping this castle right now without any of us catching them!" Draco shouted at Snape, who had received word from McGonagall that we were found in the corridors at midnight.

"And who is 'them,' Mr. Malfoy?"  Snape pressed for more answers. Draco let out an annoyed sigh and continued his ranting.

"Potter, of course! And those weird friends of his. The mud blood and the blood traitor!" Draco was practically shouting while we sat side by side in identical chairs in front of Snape's desk.

A knock at the door interrupted our commotion before Snape stood up swiftly and stalked across the room to answer it.

"You have to help get us out of this!" Draco panicked, worry evident on his small and pale face. "Father will kill me. Please." He begged, reaching out for my hand and clasping on to it with his clammy one.

"Ew," I grimaced when I felt his palm, "you must be nervous. You're gross and sticky." I crinkled my nose up in disgust.

Snape came back and sat in his chair, he eyed the two of us down before he let out a long sigh.