Chapter 10

As the violin music filled the castle, I walked quickly towards the ball room. My hair was all pulled up and the curls were pinned to my head, thanks to the help of Cassie who had a knack for these types of things. Although I didn't think it would take me as long as it did, my golden and shimmery makeup had taken much longer to perfect and now I was nearly late.

I hadn't seen Draco or the lads all day as I prepared for this giant ball. I planned on exchanging my gifts with him later when this stressful event was finally laid to rest.

My golden heels clicked against the hard floors of the castle as I followed many students in the right direction. Everyone looked stunning, wearing their dress robes and dresses. As the clock struck, I knew that I was going to be one of the last people arriving.

I scampered towards the main stairs and tried to make haste. My sweaty palms and beating heart continued to remind me just how nervous I really was. I adjusted the golden tiara on my head that my mother had sent me and straightened out my family's jewels across my neck. I cleared my throat once before I descended down the stairs.

And as quickly as it filled the air, the conversations and commotion at the bottom of the stairs halted and silenced. My shaking hand held the railing to the staircase and I tried my hardest to regain some of the confidence that typically overcame my brain. My eyes met Blaise's who nudged Gregory beside him as his mouth was slightly dropped open. Gregory gawked at me the same way when he noticed, and a beaming smile crossed Vincent's lips.

The platinum head of blonde hair that faced his friends turned slowly to try and understand what his friends were staring at, as well as the many others who stood in the corridor. And as if I felt like my breathing couldn't become any more erratic, it now felt like the world stopped. His black and white dress robes clung to his figure perfectly, and his almost white hair was combed back into place. Despite all these years of loving Draco and being one of the many centers of his perfect little world, I had never seen him look at me like this.

He slowly walked towards me in the still crowd, leaving his friends behind. The music that filled the air once was completely drowned out of my mind now as my hazel eyes stared into his grey ones across the small space that separated us. And as nervous as I felt, and all of the fear rushing through my body, I couldn't help the small smile that pulled at the corners of my lips to greet him.

"Hello, sunshine." He whispered as we were finally face to face. He grabbed my right hand into his and placed a subtle kiss on the back of it. "You are so gorgeous." He whispered breathlessly as he looked me up and down. I let out a shaky breath as his words filled my ears.

"Well, I had to go over the top if I was planning on meeting the most handsome lad at the bottom of the steps." I told him softly. A large smile crossed his face as he heard my words. He placed my arm on his own and led me towards the large doors of the entrance while everyone looked me up and down.

"They're staring at you, y'know." Draco mumbled to me from the corner of his mouth. "How's it feel? To be the most popular girl at Hogwarts?" He chuckled. My nerves seemed to have melted as he spoke to me. My security. My space space. My home.

"Not nearly as good as one would've thought." I sighed with a nervous laugh. Draco stood across from me in the middle of the dance floor as we both bowed.

"You're handling it with grace." He reassured me as he pulled me closer by my waist. "I think the attention is well deserved." He mumbled seriously. Blush filled my cheeks as I stared into his eyes. "Can't say I'm not thankful though. That you chose me to share all of these memories with." He smiled as we glided across the floor with the other champions.

"Well, if I win the tournament, maybe I'll be feeling nice enough to share the glory." I winked, causing him to smirk. He bit the inside of his cheek as he glanced across the room. He leaned his head closer to mine so that we were cheek to cheek.