Chapter 17

The world around me was constantly an irritating buzz that just wouldn't leave me alone. Everyone acting as though nothing had happened just days prior, but that was easy for them. They didn't live it.

Harry was just as distraught and broken, his gaze always staring off at the floor when I would sneak a glance at him. And all the butterflies I used to feel when I'd see him had vanished. Gone. They left with the wind that blew through my life and sent everything into a twister.

The world was an empty and dark place to live in. When it seemed like the only innocences I had to lose would be the ones I would share with Draco in a bedroom, death knocked on the door and shouted from the rooftops to let him in and take the brunette boy that now haunted my mind. Life had different meanings now that I had witnessed the murder of a boy who was years elder than I was.

And I couldn't shake the thought from my head that asked, why not me? Or more so, why me? Why did I live? I could've easily been an extra spare that they killed along side Diggory, and they let me go. Voldemort's words constantly played in my head, and I wondered if Harry had been paying enough attention to catch them as well.

I haven't seen her since she was itty bitty.

My father's tattoo had scared over years ago. Lucius's matched, rightfully so. I knew what the mark had meant. Every wizard did when they reached a certain age to clue in. However, just like Draco, I thought they had both given it up.

Knowing that Lucius had returned to his old ways, I couldn't help but not think- but know my daddy had done the same thing. And I wanted no parts of it. Especially with the nightmares that lingered in my once innocent brain every night, the Dark Lord telling me he was waiting for me and that he'd find me one day. Draco promised it wasn't real. That meant it had to be true- right? Friends don't break promises. But boyfriends do.

The train ride was silent as I stared out the window the entire time, Draco's sweats engulfing my small figure while I wore them for comfort and my feet propped up on the seat. Only, it really wasn't silent. The boys howled with laughter as they discussed other topics. They played games with one another, shared different sweets, and talked about all their favorite parts of this year. It was my brain that was silenced, almost like Voldemort had placed the silencing charm on it once again.

"Sweetheart, maybe you should talk to someone? Yeah?" Draco mumbled in my ear as I still looked the other way. His patience was thin, even for me. He could only attempt to occupy me for so long before even he grew bored of my mute and depressing personality.

I didn't respond. I didn't move an inch. I just stared out the window, waiting for the train ride of life to finally come to a halt. Drop me off at death's station. And allow me to forget everything I had heard and seen within the traumas of the recent week, if only I could just close my eyes and they'd never open again.

My head laid against my pillow while the knocking on my door continued to occur every few hours. Though, I never gave in. I locked away my owl, not planning on sending or receiving mail this summer. I told my mother to send my meals to my room until I was ready to come out, and my vacant eyes have laid here for hours at a time and just stared out the window ever since.

My mind tried telling myself that if I just closed my eyes and went to sleep, I could ignore the aching pain that made me feel like I was suffocating and struggling for air.

But it didn't work. Nothing did.

"Emmy girl, I'm going to stop knocking and just come in if you don't answer me in 5 seconds." Draco's muffled voice warned on the opposite side of my white double doors. "It's been weeks since I've seen your beautiful face, let alone hear you speak." He whined. I didn't take my gaze off of the window as I picked up my wand and flicked it behind my back, allowing the door to open itself.

As annoying as I thought it was, I couldn't yell at him when he barged into the room and threw himself on the bed with me. He rolled me over so I had to look at his smiling face, and he forced his lips onto mine without any sort of consent.

I had repeated my daily routine for weeks. Pushing away everyone that loved me and just wishing I could let the pit in my stomach completely open up and let every piece of me pour out slowly.

But when Draco pulled away from me, and my sad eyes finally saw his lively grey ones that almost reminded me of the wings of the Small Blue butterflies that we would chase in the back yard, I finally felt a flutter in my heart and the stinging pool that gathered behind my eyes finally released itself.

I had been hanging by threads for so long, feeling like a shattered glass that's pieces had scattered so far across the floor when it fell that no one could find the missing shards and properly put me back together.

And finally -- just like it always was -- the answer was right outside my door all this time. The one thing that made me feel like there was some sort of purpose out there for me. The one person who I would give anything to, and he had proven just the same as he continuously showed up to check on me even though I ignored him, and his patience didn't wear thin for once as I didn't give him his way weeks ago when he first tried getting me to open the door. Draco moved his lips across my tired and sunken face lovingly, taking in every inch that he had missed so much while I had shut him out.

"Hi, sunshine." He beamed, kissing my lips so tenderly again. I had finally found the light at the end of the tunnel.

"Draco," I sobbed, wrapping my arms around his neck and finally releasing my gut wrenching cries. The ones I had kept to myself for so long. The ones that I suppressed so deeply down and hid them away, I forgot I even had emotions at all.

"I missed you so much, love. I gave you as much space as I could, I'm sorry I stopped by so many times every day. I hope you're feeling better." He whispered, sitting himself on the bed comfortably and pulling me into his lap like a child who needed to be coddled.

"I am now." I huffed, squeezing my arms around him and nuzzling my cheek against his own. Warmth finally radiated against my cold skin. And my stomach churned in a good way.

My lips curled up in a smile, and I cursed at myself internally that I had ever let my brain win the mind games all this time. That I had myself convinced that I should be deprived of these happy moments. That I didn't deserve them.

"Draco, I love you." I choked out. His good mood didn't even falter despite my tears. He couldn't be anything but grateful that my door had finally unlocked and I had opened up. I was me again.

"I still love you, too. Don't worry, sweet girl." he chuckled, patting my back lightly and rubbing his cheek against my wet one like I had just moments ago.

"No like-" I sniffled, leaning back to finally look at him. His smile turned soft as his eyes looked at the details of my face for a moment with pity. His finger traced the dark marks under my eyes and the slight scar that lingered on my forehead as a reminder of the task just less than a month ago while he waited for me to continue. "I love you. I'm in love with you." I sniffled again, making his toothless smile grow a little more while his finger still moved across my face as his eyes still gazed at my lips.

"I'm in love with you, too." He whispered with a light in his eyes.

End of Year 4

*A/N:

Our poor Emmy got hit really hard with all that emotion damage. :(

What are some things you guys want to see happen in year5?! Hehe, I'm always open for suggestions and ideas on where to take the story, even if I have a few ideas of my own.

I want to know what you want to read. :)

Thanks for your support thus far, year 5 will be taking off shortly. 🤍