Chapter 20

"You're so pretty," Draco hummed as we sat together on a couch in the common room. I closed my eyes as my smile didn't move an inch on my lips.

"You're too nice to me." I chuckled, laying my head against his shoulder and inhaling his cologne that made my stomach do flips.

"What? You'd rather me treat you how I treat everyone else?" He chuckled, running his fingers through my hair. I shook my head as I sat up to look at him with an amused face.

"No! I don't want you to hate me." I laughed. He crinkled his face at my statement.

"I don't hate anyone." He told me flatly.

"Yeah right. I can name plenty of people you hate." I teased, propping my elbow up on the back of the couch and resting my head in my hand.

"Hating people requires me to care about people. And I don't care about anyone." He chuckled, tucking my hair behind my ear for me. My brows furrowed and my lips turned to a frown.

"That's not true either." I protested. "You care about me." I said weakly, hoping it was true. His amused face fell as he could see the hurt swimming around in my hazel eyes. I had never had any sort of doubts about our relationship until this moment.

"I do." He sighed, giving me his sweet half smile. "You're the only one on that list." He reassured me, his smile growing a little bigger.

"You promise?" I whispered, my heart still aching slightly as his original words echoed in the back of my head.

"Yes, Emmy." He whispered back, cupping my cheek in his hand and bringing my forehead to his lips.

I dragged my feet towards the pitch while I tied up the strings to my grey hoodie. My messy bun was barely hanging on, just like my eyes were barely staying open in the early morning light.

"Montague!" I hissed as I slammed the door to the changing room open. The boys were already in there and each of them laughed lightly as they saw my tired figure in the doorway. "It's fucking 5 in the morning!" I shouted before I threw myself down on one of the nearest benches.

"Well, aren't you just as beautiful as ever." He mocked me smugly while I still glared at him. "Don't get too lippy with me, darling. I could always replace you now that I'm taking Flint's spot as captain."

"Oh, piss off." I told him harshly. "Without me you'd hardly score any of our points. You're too busy getting penalties, and Pussy hardly knows how to fly a broom!" I argued.

"For the last time, Prince, my name is pronounced Pucey!" He shouted. Draco and his friends were rolling at the heated argument while they sat back and watched.

"What the bloody hell happened to Warrington?!" I asked as I stared down Adrian. "I liked him. He kept his mouth shut!" I yelled. Draco, who sat on the bench behind me, tugged on the hood to my sweatshirt harshly enough to pull me off the bench and knock me on to my butt.

"Down girl." He laughed as he looked down on me, but now my glare moved to him.

"Don't even get me started with you," I griped, getting off of the floor and sitting back down on my bench.

"This is why I'd prefer just having a team full of blokes. You women are so hormonal." Graham huffed, turning and facing the chalk board once again.

"Oh, that's it!" I screamed, jumping off of the bench, but Miles Bletchley grabbed me by the waist before I had really done something stupid.

"Malfoy! Control your pet!" Graham shouted, giving me a look that— no matter how much he tried to deny it —was full of fear.

"Yeah, Emmy doesn't do well in the mornings." He laughed, sitting back in his seat and enjoying the sight of Miles trying to tame me. "Gotta admit though, she is the best chaser our team has. Even over you, Montague." Draco told him proudly. Graham didn't say anything as he let out a long sigh.