Chapter 38

"Quidditch tryouts are this Friday." I told Draco quietly as we cuddled up closely on the leather couch of the common room. "Are you excited?" I happily asked him— who had been in a grumpy and horrible mood all day long despite my best efforts to make him feel the slightest bit better.

"No." He shook his head in response. "I don't really care. I'm not playing this year." He said shortly while his lips pressed together into a firm line.

His body was rigid as I laid against it, and his hands were cold to the touch while they stroked my arms stiffly. I shivered from the feeling unconsciously, not used to it. Gregory's words from the previous week repeated in my head:

He won't last forever. He'll turn dark, and cold, and-

"Well, if you aren't playing this year then I don't think I want to either. That was our thing, and I couldn't imagine doing it alone." I said honestly, cutting off my thoughts and watching the fire in front of us while it crackled and danced. "Besides, I was already kicked off of the team last year and was replaced. I have an easy out." I giggled, but Draco didn't laugh along while his fingers left my arms and  combed themselves through my knotted hair.

"You don't have to give up something you love for the likes of me. That just sounds ridiculous." Draco commented bluntly, his fingers running across the back of my neck and making me shiver once again.

"You would do the same thing, you idiot, so shut it." I chuckled while his fingers were still tickling my skin. He chuckled lowly as he watched me squirm against him before his lips lingered across my temple, barely brushing my skin as he kissed me.

"If he doesn't stop staring at you soon, I might have to ask him to go for a little walk in the courtyard." Draco mumbled coldly against my forehead. I glanced up at his face out of confusion before my eyes followed his and landed on Theodore across from us.

Theo's eyes widened when they came in contact with my hazel ones. He quickly turned back to his chess game with Blaise, his freckled face burning into a bright red color now that he had been caught.

He looked tired and run down. His under eyes were sleep deprived and his curls tangled together from the way he had been stressfully tugging at his hair in recent hours. He needed sleep. It look like he hadn't slept well in weeks, and I worried in my gut he never would again.

"No you won't." I told Draco, turning my head to look at him again. "Don't do anything to him, please. Just give him time, Drake. He's just sad right now. You'd be pouting around too if someone took me." I sighed, brushing my fingers along Draco's cheek and leaning a little closer. Draco gave me an amused smile as he leaned his cheek into my palm.

"Don't do anything? You better not be making me soft, Prince Charming." He chuckled, narrowing his eyes to glare at me. "It took months for me to learn how to balance my emotions without you trying to change them yourself. You know what will happen if you do." He raised his brows cautiously, trying to scare me. Our faces were inches apart now, making my voice drop down to a whisper.

"Would they torture you again if you ever changed your mind?" I asked him cluelessly. "Like— if you don't follow one of the Dark Lord's commands, or you decide one day to be normal and nice, would they do something to you?" I asked him. He gave me a look like I was the biggest idiot ever for even asking him such a thing.

"What kind of question is that?" He laughed at me. "Firstly, I'd probably never go against the Dark Lord's command. Second, they would in fact torture me if I did. Third, it would be viewed as an act of treason and I'd probably be killed." He said matter of factly. My eyes nearly popped out of my head as the last word dropped off of his tongue so carelessly.