Chapter 7

I tried to guess what was being served up for dinner as I walked down the stairs. I poked my head round the kitchen doorway with a smile as I watched my Mum plating up my favourite meal: Dal and rice.
I love Indian food, whereas my parents were into more traditional food. They were the sorts who didn't really like change. I was the opposite. I was excited to try new things and travel the world. I don't think i could cope spending my whole life in one country, let alone one town.

Dinner was awkward. It wasn't the food (the food was amazing), but the family time. I was paranoid that they could tell I was keeping something from them, so tried to avoid conversation. I felt like I was going red every time I spoke. I really cannot lie to save my life.

They knew something was up, but not that I was lying. My over-protective adoptive mother was convicted I was coming down with a cold or something, as I don't talk much when I'm sick. I suddenly felt guilty. Even she wasn't my biological mother, she babied so much. I made an excuse to go upstairs to avoid my mother. I tried to remember all the negative times I've had with my family. It probably wasn't the best thing to have my last memories here as thinking about bad times, but it was better than crying my eyes out.

I looked up before running on my waterline to avoid a tear from running down my cheek. I wasn't planning on redoing my makeup for the plane journey.

When I cry, or feel like crying, I start feeling really tired. My Mum already thought I was ill, so I took a nap. I didn't think I'd be getting much sleep over the next 24 hours, and didn't want my family's first impression of me to be a lazy cow. I fell asleep in minutes.

When I woke up from my nap, my mum had left some juice and a scone next to my bed, as I had rushed upstairs after my meal to avoid conversation and me being over emotional. I wasn't hungry, but gobbled up my desert and gulped down my juice in one go, anyway. I brushed my bed head and checked my watch. 11pm. Only four hours until my flight..